Please read- I nearly died on Sunday!

charlotteliz

Reaction score
I had symptoms of mastitis on Friday, reddening of skin on right breast and pain in it even after feeding. My doc prescribed penicillin, which I have has before. I immediately got flu like symptoms but attributed it to the antibiotics not having kicked in yet.
On Saturday night the red rash moved to my left breast, rang 111 they said to attend a and e the next day. Doc then increased the dosage of penicillin.
My son (3weeks old) husband and I went to my mums for lunch. Took first new tablet.
Within minutes I felt sick, tingling in my hands, was repeatedly sick, mum rang 999, then lost my eyesight and thought I was going to die. Paramedics got me in ambulance and did BP- 60/30!
Adrenaline shot and things started to improve. My little boy nearly didn't have a mum, my husband a wife and my mum a daughter.
Please be extra cautious taking antibiotics, I have had numerous antibiotics over the years but must have developed a sensitivity and the mega dose tipped the scale.
I'm lucky to be here, a very sobering experience.

Oh no that sounds horrendous, I hope you make a full recovery! Last time I was prescribed penicillin based antibiotics I got very short of breath as I never had problems with penicillin etc before I just ignored it :/ Now I think I will definitely be mentioning it next time they try to prescribe me something in that group. One of my sons was prescribed augmentin abroad when on holiday and developed a severe form of erythema multiforme, it resembles measles in rash and other symptoms usually less severe though but his was so bad we thought it must be measles despite him being recently vaccinated. Poor chap was covered completely head to toe in the rash for six weeks before it even began to go away xx

How terrifying, thank you for sharing, I hope you're doing better now. :hugs: xx

It was augmentin I took when doc increased the dosage!

Yup that's what caused my son's reaction (he never had any antibiotics before) and what made me breathless last time. I dismissed it at the time as it was a throat problem that necessitated me taking the antibiotics to begin with but the breathlessness was different. I was on the highest oral dose which is stronger than the usual IV dose Xx

Thank goodness you were with family and that they took such swift action!

I was put on that stuff for a possible slight infection in my stitches a week or so post-partum. Never had a reaction to antibiotics before, then boom, rashes all over my feet, lower legs and backs of hands. Nowhere near as severe as you!

Glad you're OK

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->