Please tell me this gets easier?

fashionlover

Reaction score
My baby girl is hungry all the time! It seems as though ever 30-1.5 hours she is ready to feed. She is fussy when I put her in her crib, and even fusses when she is on the boob. At the moment she has a cold :( and she is extra fussy. Took her to emergency because she was running a fever and the nurse told me to start schedule feeding her every two hours...to let her cry until she learns the routine. I simply cannot bear to let my baby cry, it breaks my heart...am I doomed? Is this going to get easier? :wacko:

Any reason you were told to schedule feed? Otherwise sounds like a bad plan, feed on demand is usually best, assuming latch OK etc.

My lo fed that often for a bit,it was so hard :hugs:. I can't really say much to everything going on, because it sounds like she's sick, not sure how old she is, and I don't want to give bad advice. Talk to your pediatrician if it seems like she's crying too much.
But, yes, I've always fed my LO on demand, and for awhile it was about every hour , and yes, it got better! I had a little bit of a miserable time getting started breastfeeding, but with persistence and a lactation consultant it got so much easier and now it's a piece of cake!

Mine is the same but starting getting better at BF at 9 weeks. He's 10 weeks tomorrow. I've notice he still feeds often but for less time and most of the feeding are to nurse to sleep (comfort feeding). I don't mind. When he is overtired, he'll be very fussy at the boob and only way to help him is to nurse while rocking and with white noise. He'll pass out after 5 minutes.

I wouldn't take that nurse advice. Feed her on demand. Plus her being sick she probably feels miserable and needs you more than anything. Try different ways, but use nursing since she sounds like she is using you for comfort (like a pacifier). You'll find a way and you know your baby better than anyone. Follow your instinct and do your best : )

forgot to mention she is 5.5 weeks old. Its good to know I'm not alone it is extremely stressful at times. I am pretty determined to continue to breastfeeding until she is 6 month at least just really hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel.

YES, it gets better and better. My pediatrican said to feed 2 hours or more, but I didn't really listen and if I could go back in time I'd probably feed MORE often. It is a comfort to baby an it's what they need. My LO has not really been sick at all and I attribute that some to breastfeeding. He is 8 months now and nurses just a few minutes at a time, hours apart. Keep it up! I was where you are and I love it now.

Hi :) how old is your baby?

I would feed on demand, especially if newborn! I can't believe nurses told you to let your baby cry even though shes hungry!

Constantly being on the boob is normal for the first few weeks as milk is produced on a supply and demand basis. Every time your baby nurses it is letting your body know it needs to produce more.

Often during growthspurts a baby will want to feed for hours at a time just switching boobs every so often. This also happens in the evenings when a baby clusterfeeds to tell your body it needs to make a bigger supply.

As for the fussiness at the breast, it could be down to a number of things.You may have a slow let down which frustrates the baby, this can be helped by things such as breast massage/compressions, expressing a few minutes before a feed, warm flannel applied to breast. You may have an overactive letdown, this can be helped by changeing position of the baby during a feed so the flow is more regulated.

Have you seen a lactation consultant/bf support worker? They may be able to help and have better advice over the nurse!

Also did the nurse check for ear infection? I know that can cause crying/fussiness whilst lying down and also whilst nursing.

Doctors and nurses tend to give more bad advice about BFing than good.

5 week old babies are often on the boob almost all day.

Yes it gets easier. For me it got much easier at about 8 weeks and except for some off days (which will happen) has continued to get easier. My LO still feeds often but feeds are shorter. I also noticed a big difference after about 3 months, she is now less needy all the time and will happily play on her own in her cot for 10 mins at a time which makes a huge difference. I believe in the '4th trimester'. The baby has been inside you for 9 months where it is warm, comfortable and close to you all the time. When it is born it needs time to adjust so it is good to cuddle and comfort them as much as possible. Several people have told me that I would 'spoil' my baby but I don't believe you can spoil a baby that small. It is super hard work and feels like you are permanently glued to your baby but the newborn stage doesn't last long so try to enjoy it.

It gets so much easier! Your LO is still quite young and is probably nursing often to establish your supply and because she's not feeling well. I'd say around two or three months is when it got easier for us. He would go two or three hours between feeds by then. It seems like it's still quite often but he would only nurse for five minutes at a time.

Babies have a growth spurt usually around 6 weeks, but my lo did hers at 5 weeks. She was nursing nonstop for two days.
It might be what's going on. If it's the case, I think feeding on a schedule would be a bad idea. Your lo is still establishing your milk supply by nursing very frequently.

But it does get easier. For me, it was around 2 months of age that things started to ease up.
Hang in there! :hugs:

My first had a 7 day growth spurt around 6 weeks. He nursed constantly

LO finally took some time off the boob after 6 weeks. Before that time she was massively cluster feeding all day and night. Now she sleeps through the night and I'm hoping we won't have a 4 month sleep regression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->