Plugged Ducts and Extreme Dip In Supply

3xpire

Mother to Kalei Mae (:
Reaction score
I've been dealing with my milk ducts clogging up a lot lately, and figured out its some of my bras that are causing it, and usually I can get them to go away within a few hours to a day tops. But I've now had plugged milk ducts in BOTH breasts for the last two days, going on the third. I've tried massaging, hot compresses, hot showers, dipping breasts in hot water, pumping every two-three hours (and every so often on the fastest setting). I feel a lot of them are unclogged, but still a couple plugged up. But now my breasts are swollen almost, but not hard like there's milk there. Also, I can usually pump 5-6 ounces total each pumping session, now I get MAYBE 2 or 3. My little one eats about 4-5 ounces each feeding, so I'm becoming really worried that something's wrong. Anyone who's supply dipped after plugged ducts? How fast did your supply come back? /:

I'm desperate and going to be calling the lactation consultant here soon, but just need some extra advice for now.

I've had the same thing (and for the same reason) but was able to get my supply back up in 3-4 days afterwards. What I did was nurse frequently, pumping between if needed/possible and ate lactation cookies and drank a ton of water. There were a few rough days, but it didn't take as long as I expected to bounce back once I fixed the problem.

Oh gosh I hope it comes back up real soon. My little one eats way too much for me to pump as little as I am right now. I read up in a couple places that it could be related to my body adjusting to LO's needs, but I pumped every three to four hours anyways. Also kind of sucks having huge boobs and then no bras Ive come accross that I can wear that don't cause an issue lol.

Are you EP or does your baby nurse at all?

It could just be your supply regulating. If you are unable to really empty your breasts using the pump then your supply may drop, even if you are removing enough milk, because milk left in the breast is the signal to produce less.

What was the issue with your bras? I don't know what band size you wear but I wear Anita nursing bras and they go up to an I cup. :flower:

You can also try taking lecithin supplements for the recurrent clogs.

I almost EP. I try to get LO to latch, but she's so persistant on the bottle and fighting at the breast. I usually have to try a nursing shield to even get her comfortable pacifying on the breast most times. And for bras, I wear supportive bras, ones that aren't too tight, and they clog. And Ive tried sports bras, and same thing happens. I have a couple that I wear that it doesn't happen with. I'm going out to look for nursing bras sometime soon and see if they make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->