PMS and norethisterone/ citalopram

Caroline

Proud Mum of 4
Reaction score
Since getting my periods back I've been getting progressively worse PMS it starts upto a week b4 af arrives feeling uptight, bad tempered, weepy, and 24 hrs before I start I get really down. I also have trouble sleeping. 2 days after af arrives I start to feel better then I feel fine for a couple of weeks.

I've been putting off going to docs as my periods have improved (have mefanamic acid for a couple of days) but the mood swings semm to actually getting worse.

I've finally gone to drs today and he was going to prescribe citalopram as this is thought to work the best, however I'm still bf lo and so I can't take it.

GP has suggested I wean him off over the next couple of months but TBH I really want to let him self wean.

OH isn't convinced about anti d's as I'm only down for 10 days or so but I feel so rubbish to the point last month where actually felt they would be better off without me.

For the interim he has given me norethisterone (progesterone) to take for 7 days from CD19-26. I am supposed to take 3 a day but info leaflet says 2 or 3 a day.

I'm still hoping that it may sort itself out so was thinking of maybe taking 2 a day this month, if it doesn't help try 3 following month.

What I really want to know is has anyone taken either of these for PMS and it worked for them.

Any advice appreciated.

Sorry to hear you're feeling crummy. I was on citalopram for a year. I just went off of it a couple months ago and I think that made my PMS much worse. So maybe that means it was making it better? Not sure if it works both ways or not. Hope you feel better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->