PND Support Thread

I've just been reading through this thread and wanted to introduce myself. I have two beautiful children, my son is 2.5 and daughter is 9 months. I just started on an antidepressant to treat PND and some situational depression.
My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 15 months old, 6 months later he was diagnosed with a brain tumor and 5 days later I gave birth to my daughter. I handled everything really well and felt great until recently. I finally went to my doctor for help and feel like i will be on the road to recovery. My symptoms were/are:
*feeling tired and lazy, no energy
*feared being alone
*self diagnosing illnesses
*body aches and pains especially after a long day
*irrational thoughts
*crying a lot, sad a lot
*fighting with my husband over anything and everything
*loss of appetite and weight loss

looking forward to getting to know you ladies, and I appreciate the support :)

Hi,
you might have seen my desperate posts from a while ago. Just wanted to update as Ive not been on since.
I finally admitted what was going on. I was diagnosed with PND and anxiety disorder.
I've had some CBT which has really really helped. I say helped, not cured, as every day is a new day and some days I have a lapse, but I feel hopeful :)
big hugs xx

Hi everyone

I'm just looking for a bit of advice really, I'm 3 weeks pp and pretty sure I've been depressed during pregnancy as I felt pretty miserable and kept thinking how much I hated it and had never felt so bad.

Every morning for the last week or so I have cried, I keep having what I consider to be little meltdowns because I cry uncontrollably, really sob my heart out, usually about my relationship with df or worrying about what on earth I'm going to do on my own all day with a 1 year old and a 3 week old when it's raining outside so we can't really go out.

My question really is, is it too soon to be thinking it's possibly PND? I know baby blues is usually in the first couple of weeks pp, but sleep deprivation also would contribute, but where do I draw the line at this being just a normal pp thing that will improve. I keep fighting with my df all the time and he has basically told me to stop stressing so much (man up is basically the gist of what he has said) and I don't know whether it's too soon to talk to my GP about it.

Looks like you've got a similar age gap to my two boys. PPD hit harder and sooner with DS2 than it did with DS1, so no, i don't think it's too soon.

My only advice is, if you think it might by PPD/PND, go ahead and talk to your GP - if it is, then you can get on meds that will certainly help A LOT; if it's not, no harm done. :)

huge :hugs:

Thanks Hun, I've had a much better day today but I know that's not necessarily an indicator that it isn't something to be wary of. I have the HV coming to see me soon so will have a chat with her about it.

I just wanted to update you all. I posted on here months back when i thought i had pnd. I was prescribed antidepressants but never took them. My feeling better seemed to coincide with my daughter outgrowing her 'colic' at 3 months. I believe i was suffering from anxiety and although i am still an anxious person (worry about her falling a d hurting herself, being in a car accident, losing my job and not being able to feed us all are the main ones) i am no longer miserable. I feel like it took a good few months to adjust to my new life. I still have difficult days/nights but doesnt everyone.

For those really struggling, talk to someone

Did anyone here have severe PND?

My daughter hasn't lived with me since the week she was born. I'm on a sort of modified outpatient program after an ER visit plus antidepressants. Can't actually see anyone till August :nope:

Hi! I had ppd with my first baby and while being treated I had to stop taking the medication because I found out I was unexpectedly pregnant. They are 2.5 and 5 months. I love my girls, but most days I hate being mommy, I have to work, and lately my job has been extra stressful, my milk supply has dropped, I have no energy or motivation. I don't know what to do anymore. If something doesn't change I don't think my marriage will make it. I have absolutely zero interest in sex. I worry about the little thing- laundry isn't done, toys everywhere, that I'm an awful mother. Sometimes I even catch myself thinking that my girls would be better off without me. I'm on an anti depressant but it seems I'm just getting worse. I have headaches daily and cry almost every night in the tub. My husband isn't much help, he's always at work. Right now he's on the couch because I was mad when he got home. He wasn't working today- he went to an outdoor area to look for Indian artifacts, which left me with both girls. He didn't even come on home when I called. He finally got home at 9pm.

Did anyone here have severe PND?

My daughter hasn't lived with me since the week she was born. I'm on a sort of modified outpatient program after an ER visit plus antidepressants. Can't actually see anyone till August :nope:

Hi, I had severe perinatal depression, and am now classed as having severe PND. I'm on antidepressants and anti anxiety medication.

I'm sorry you don't have your daughter with you. Do you not have any mother and baby inpatient units near you?

I was admitted to one at 34 weeks pregnant, after a trip to A&E. I stayed until my daughter was 3 weeks old. I now no longer need to be there, but have ongoing care in the community. Being an inpatient is tough, but it saved my life, and enabled my daughter and I to bond. Most doctors/psychiatrists etc believe that the best way to treat PND is to keep mum and baby together.

I hope things improve for you soon xx

I need some help. Do you guys think i could be suffering from postpartum? My baby is now 9mos old and I came back to work when he was 10weeks old full time. I believe I was depressed when he was first born but in April I started a workout program that has really improved my outlook in the future. I'm pretty happy EXCEPT with the fact that I miss him while in working 40hrs a week. I feel like I'm missing him growing up and missing out on his firsts. The few hours we have every night before bedtime is rushed and routine. It's not enough time and it's made me cry more than I ever have and miss time at work because I just can't leave him. Should I talk to my dr? I was ready to go to part time at work but now they want me to talk to my dr and see if maybe I need short term instead. Help?

I need some help. Do you guys think i could be suffering from postpartum? My baby is now 9mos old and I came back to work when he was 10weeks old full time. I believe I was depressed when he was first born but in April I started a workout program that has really improved my outlook in the future. I'm pretty happy EXCEPT with the fact that I miss him while in working 40hrs a week. I feel like I'm missing him growing up and missing out on his firsts. The few hours we have every night before bedtime is rushed and routine. It's not enough time and it's made me cry more than I ever have and miss time at work because I just can't leave him. Should I talk to my dr? I was ready to go to part time at work but now they want me to talk to my dr and see if maybe I need short term instead. Help?

i would say definitely if you have a concern, bring it up to your dr, it never hurts to ask! i started back to work when DD was about 9 weeks old, and while im fortunate to have a job and position where i can work from home, I feel like alot of times i miss some things that she does, so i can see how you being away would feel like you are missing everything! definitely talk to your dr, thats what they are there for, and maybe see if it is something that might be covered under FMLA (if you are in the US, i didnt look to see... :blush:) :hugs:

I'm feeling pretty hopeless. I have postpartum depression. I was an inpatient in a psychiatric ward for 3 days a couple of weeks ago. I already have depression, so I've already been on meds, but they added some to my regime, plus an anti anxiety that kind of works.

For awhile I felt much better, but the past few days have gotten bad again. I just sat and cried for no reason. I am alone with the baby and I feel like I can't be; it makes me so anxious I can hardly stand it. I was crying feeding her earlier. Now she won't sleep on her back and will only sleep on her tummy, which is so stressful because I don't want to put her on her tummy all night. I can't even sleep when she sleeps because I start panicking the second my eyes close. I feel like a terrible mom. I don't know what to do...I am at my wits end. :/

Bubbles, just wanted to give you a hug;-). Pp depression is so unfair and hard to cope with. If you are feeling bad again is it worth discussing meds change with your doctor or some talking therapy? I suffer with anxiety too so I understand how scary it can be. Sorry I can't be more helpful xx

Hi ladies I have a question for those taking antidepressants ie Zoloft. I've started on 25mg last week then increased to 50mg. I am basically on day 11 right now and have started jaw clenching at night and sometimes during the day. It's so weird I wasn't a jaw clencher before. My mom is also on Zoloft and some other meds as well but she said that she's been clenching her jaw for years and years and the medication she's on improved it.

I'm thinking maybe I should go speak to my dr? Is it too early to even exhibit symptoms from taking Zoloft?

I'm on citralopram and as soon asi started taking it I got a jaw tremor that does not go away so not too soon for it to be causing you problems. I hoped mine was just a short term side effect bit it seems to be here stay

thank you for sharing, I'm sorry about your jaw tremor.

I've already made another appointment to discuss the teeth grinding. I'm going to see if I could be put on something else or maybe see if I can get by with just counseling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->