Poo Q again, constipation this time.

soon2b6

Mum to 6
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has had any probs with this with their baby, Holly gets extremely constipated, we have started giving a bottle of water every day to try to help, it is helping but in my experience BF babies normally have runny poos, with mustard seeds,lol.
I am thinking of getting the doctor to take a look as she gets very uncomfortable and sometimes it has some blood on (not in iyswim)
Any thoughts would be very much appreciated, Thanks.

Holly is exclusively BF with gaviscon for reflux.

Breastfed babies can go a long time between poos! Have you tried bicycling her legs? Keeping her upright? Massaging her tummy? Slings (the gentle movement you provide can be really helpful)? Walking can help get things flowing through the tummy; when she starts moving things may get better.

HTH

Melanie

Thanks Melanie, yeah I tried massage followed by cycling her legs, this along with the water is what I think eventually got her to go the last time (took over half an hour of massage and cycling!) When she goes its very, very firm and it hurts her to pass it (sorry TMI) Its also a change for her, when she was under a month old she passed what I would call normal BF baby stools.

Hiya Hunni

My LO is on infant gaviscon which has made her constipated,i spoke to the doc and she advised a lil bit of freshly squeezed orange juice in some cooled boiled water..

Does the trick for us:thumbup:

xx xx

H'mmm..... Not sure that the orange juice idea is a good thing for an exclusive BF baby. It destroys the virgin gut, is a common allergen, reduces milk intake, intro's solids with the whole host of associated problems.... Could the problem actually be the gaviscon? Does baby truly need it? If the reason for gaviscon is colic, could the colic be resolved by fine tuning BF practice, or a chiropractic appointment? (Actually, that might help with the constipation, too)

Mel

BF babies don't need any water. Breast milk is also a natural laxative, so try offering more feeds for a while to ease the constipation. OJ is definitely not a good idea.

H'mmm..... Not sure that the orange juice idea is a good thing for an exclusive BF baby. It destroys the virgin gut, is a common allergen, reduces milk intake, intro's solids with the whole host of associated problems.... Could the problem actually be the gaviscon? Does baby truly need it? If the reason for gaviscon is colic, could the colic be resolved by fine tuning BF practice, or a chiropractic appointment? (Actually, that might help with the constipation, too)

Mel

Thats what the doc recomended,i dont give it to her very often,and its only a tiny bit of orange with the water

For my LO Gaviscon has been BRILLIANT,she has silent reflux and was such a unhappy baby through it,she was in so much pain,Have joined up for infant massage in the new year,which is supposed to help with reflux.

xx xx

Thank you everyone, Ive had suspicions that the gaviscon might be at the root of the problem as Ive BF 4 babies before and none had anything like these issues (and didnt have gaviscon). I do feel she needs the gaviscon for reflux as opposed to colic, but I have in recent days slightly reduced the number of doses to try to help alleviate the problems but so far nothing is really working.
I was going to give a little juice with her water but the pharmacist seemed to think this may not be the best thing to do, but it seemed logical to me. Ive tried to sign up for the baby massage, sounds really interesting, but keep getting ignored by the HV :wacko: but thats another story,lol.
Its interesting what you say Melanie, about the chiropractor as I have found pulling her legs up when I change her nappy will trigger her trying to go and its often more succesful at nappy change times when I have one of her legs up in the air,lol.
Thank you so much everyone for your help.

Hi Soon, Chloe has had a bit of constipation too over the last few wks, my HV thinks it is also caused by gaviscon, she also recommended a small amount of OJ (with no bits) and plenty of water. She also suggested putting vaseline around her bum which will make it easier to pass her poos, I did this twice and she poo'd within an hr both times, not sure if it was just good timing or if it worked to move things on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->