Poop/Pool question?

B

birdiex

My OH has just said something that scared me :blush:

I know some people have a phase of diarrhea before they go in to labour - what happens if my body waits until DURING labour and I make a "loose movement" in the birth pool? Will I have to get out and wait for them to change the water?

Scary thought, I know I won't want to be without the water in labour. What will they do if it's just.. runny?

Sorry for the nature of the question, I couldn't find anything on google so I had to ask :blush:

Your very unlikely to have a large loose movement in the pool - the pressure of babies head wouldn't really make it possible to keep it in that long, and you would have evacuated it way before you were prob in the pool. However, I guess it is possible.. that some of your poo will be in the water. Anal dilation is a very good sign that baby is in the right place.. most of the time there isn't poo because the urge to go, comes much earlier on. If there is poo in the water, there have been some studies, and most have show it has no effect on the baby. It is a concern if they breath before coming to the surface and aspirate the water (which is very very rare!), as they don’t usually have the reflex to breath... the study also showed that it might even be beneficial for baby to be colonised with mother's flora sooner.
Anyways - no significant detrimental effects, and I don't know what one MW might do to another, it is interesting and debatable.. but I wouldn't worry about it.. you’ll have your "clear out" prob way before!

Passing poop while laboring/pushing is normal and common. I did both times I gave birth, no biggie. If you're in the birth pool they will just scoop it with a fish net. No need to change the water. If you have diarrhea you'll need the water changed, but I've yet to hear of that happening, just normal stools :) Don't be embarrassed. I know the thought of it is scary, but it is common and no one is going to care.

i was on iron tablets before both births so really bunged up anyway lol no chance of me doing anything in the pool

I'm really lucky in the fact that I don't suffer from any constipation yet, there's still plenty of time though!

Having the runs in the pool would be unusual but having a little poo isn't. If you look at the anatomy and physiology of birth then you'll see why it's normal to poop as a baby decends and why it's important to have a wee regularly!

Have a sieve to hand and it will be 'caught' and disposed of discreetly... and tbh if you are the same as i was you wont care much at the time anyway!

Thanks girls! I'm not so worried now. It's not a "floater" I'd be worried about, more a loose one, but since that's so unlikely i'll put it out of my mind!

I think your clearout would happen before you were in labour so you wouldn't be in the pool at the time.

I did a normal poo in the pool and the mw just fished it out with a net. Although it doesn't really bother you at the time, it's one of the reasons I don't want my friend who is a midwife to attend to me while I'm in labour :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->