Poor weight gain

ani

Reaction score
Ahh, this is an issue we have been struggling for almost all of LO's life, he just doesn't seem to be putting weight on! And now with him on solids, it's reaaaally reaallly slow, almost nothing. His weight is falling right off the charts, while his height is pretty average. (He's about 7,7 kg and i think around 70cm). Mind you, he doesn't look skinny at all!

He is also super active, moving EVERY second (phew...), his hands and legs not stopping at all. So he must be burning loads of calories, too.

But do you have any ideas on how to get his weight gain up? We're veggie, so no meat etc., but I've done lots and lots of research and am feeding him so that he should be getting enough of protein, iron, fat, etc. I also add liberal amounts of canola and olive oil to his food, so extra fat there, too. And he loves those fatty avocados.

But he's not taking in that much, as amounts go. He's still having breastmilk a few times a day, but has formula after meals.

Any ideas?

Jack only weighs around 19lbs now at nearly 11 months!

I wouldnt worry as long as he is eating and having lots of regular wet and dirty nappies.

Have u tried him on lentils or other pulses?

Caitlyn is 18 lb 6.5 oz at nearly 1 year. (8.2kg I think)

Some babies aren't meant to be big.. I think aslong as your babies happy you shouldn't need to 'bulk them up' so to speak x

Jasmine was 20lb10 when I last got her weighed (about a month ago now) and shes 15months!

Dec is 18 months and he has just hit the 25lbs mark !! I wouldnt worry hun as long as he is content and happy. The whole problem is people tend to think a baby isnt healthy unless is it big and chubby, not true !!! if a baby is meant to be small it will be small and like wise if it is meant to be big it will be big. x

Hayden was like that and he is now 20mo and only 22lbs, it didn't/doesn't matter what we did he didn't put on the weight. We tried adding olive oil to everything...nope. Tried avocados, he couldn't handle them so that was out. Some babies just grow slower, that's one reason I hate those charts...I don't think the should all be compared to eah other but instead only to themselves. Hayden has always been very healthy, he doesn't look as small as he really is and has hit all developmental milestones on time or even early so really that type of stuff is all that should matter :)

Thanks so much, all of you, this made me feel loads better. I do give him lentils, sometimes he likes them, sometimes now. Will keep trying a bit of everything. These past days he's been pretty much off food, but I guess this is down to him having a bit of a cold.

Anyway, you made me feel like just trusting my instincts and eyes instead of those charts (once again!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->