Popping over :D maternity pads

storm4mozza

Mom of 3 :)
Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question as I have started considering my hospital bag.

I last had a child 5 years ago and was always told maternity pads are needed because of blood loss and they are important, that sanitary towels were not recommended. (not sure how true this is)

Has the advice changed or is it still maternity pads for first few weeks after childbirth?

I only used the maternity pads the hospital gave me and then switched to regular pads after 3 or so days when the flow really slowed.

I turned up to hospital with an always pad on in labour, I had been bleeding with contractions and they had a really hard time trying to work out how much blood it had absorbed into the gel. I would wear maternity pads in hospital so they can keep an eye out for pph but if you want to wear normal pads at home put a maternity pad back on if you're worried you're losing too much. Thinking back as well I wouldn't have wanted to wear a mesh style pad with my stitches either!

I wore maternity pads only at the hospital. I had to because of pph (had it with my third baby but thankfully they were proactive at preventing it with my fourth) and there was far too much blood lost to use a regular pad. Usually the bleeding slowed enough though that I could wear regular pads upon leaving the hospital. You don't need to wear the bulky maternity pads once you're at home as long as you're not bleeding a whole lot.

I use organic cotton pads (for my period in general I use the organic cotton tampons) I just get the heavy flow ones, I find these help my bleeding ease quicker xx

I wore thicker maternity ones for maybe the first 3 or 4 days, but then I wore regular period pads from then on out.
I probably only needed the super thick maternity ones for the first 24-48 hours really, so this time I've mostly bought super sized period pads, and regular pads.

Really depends how much you bleed! Some people bleed lots for quite a few weeks and others not much. I bled heavily for around 10-14 days and then lightened up like a regular period for another 2-3 weeks. I used maternity pads for the first week or so as I would have been having to change regular sanitary pads too often, I think I got around 4-5 packs and then switched to regular sanitary towels. I would get 2-3 packs in and see how you go. They don't like sanitary pads for the first few days at least as it's hard to see how much blood you're losing x

Thanks guys, I thought it had something to do with not seeing blood loss but could not remember for the life of me, thanks again! x

I used maternity pads for around 3 weeks with my first but then again, I did have a lot of heavy bleeding after. Bled for 6 weeks before it stopped although the last 2 weeks were fairly light so switched to regular pads. Really does just depend how much you bleed x

You shouldn't use tampons (and god, who would want to). But use whatever pads are the absorbancy you need, whether that's maternity pads or regular pads. I was bleeding enough to change the maternity pad about every 2 hours or so with my first or at least about 5 days after, kept using maternity pads for about 2 weeks, and then switched to regular ones when the flow was lighter. I would plan to have at least a pack or two of maternity pads just in case, then you can send someone out to pick you up more if you need them.

I had to use maternity pads until my bleeding stopped. Not because it was particularly heavy, but because I had stitches. I ran out of Mat Pads and had to wear a normal sanitary towel whilst OH ran out to buy me more. I caught one of my stitches on the loops of my normal sanitary pad......OUCH!! I made sure I never ran out again!!
If it wasn't for the stitches, I would have swapped to normal pads after a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->