portage

shopgirl771

mum to Jacob
Reaction score
it was suggested to me today by my LBs pre-school eya that instead of putting him up to 4 days (9-12) in sept that maybe we keep to 3 days and enquire about portage.

i think it sounds like a good idea but my concerns are altho im not a teacher im a very hands on mum already and much of our day is structured around educational activities to help with his focus so will this really change anything?

also one of the main reasons for upping his time at pre-school is probably like many other mums, to prepair him for going into reception eventually. i dont think hed cope doing 3 half days at pre-school then straight into 5 full days at school.

anyone with any experience of portage????

I noticed you haven't had a reply, bumping for you :)

I don't have much experience. We are waiting for Portage as my son has global developmental delay, glue ear so has problems hearing and possible other disorders. We were referred in May but haven't heard anything yet.

I hope someone else is able to help, and I had the same reaction as you when it was suggested but I think a little more support can only be a good thing :)

My son is slightly old and is 6 right now. But when he was about 3, I was told to sign up for portage and was told he wouldn't qualify as he was going to pre-school 3 days a week. He was diagnosed with autism and is also globally delayed. Not telling you not to apply, but you might not get it.

Also when is your LO's birthday? My son's is in April, meaning he didn't need to go full time until after Easter of his starting year. He did half days to begin with, just mornings, going on extending certain days until he could manage a whole week. I also know some other mum's who kept their children in pre-school for another year (birthday in July) then started them in reception class a year later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->