Portage..

Linny

Reaction score
Has anyone else been referred to portage? My daughters community paediatrician just referred us and I'm a bit confused as at to what they do?

My son has portage every week and has done since last November. Portage has been amazing. She's like a private nursery teacher she comes with all sorts of toys to help improve my son's co-ordination, memory, sharing with others ETC. Not only that she has helped with my son's DLA, referred us to countless other services, helped us get him into a nursery and apparently she can even help potty train (we're not at that stage yet).

She's become a friend and it's wonderful having someone I can offload to once a week. I wouldn't be without her and I'll be very upset when the time eventually comes for her to leave.

Wow that sounds really wonderful. I hope they take us on, I'm so new to all this I have no where to go support wise. Thank you x

Wow that sounds really wonderful. I hope they take us on, I'm so new to all this I have no where to go support wise. Thank you x

Oh I'm sure they will. They're invaluable. In my town there are only 2 portage workers, I think they're quite underfunded but they have a real passion for their job and my son loves his portage worker. Every week he will take something new to the front door to show her :)

Only reason I'm not sure is my daughter is only 4.5 months old but we shall see x

Only reason I'm not sure is my daughter is only 4.5 months old but we shall see x

Oh they will do loads of sensory stuff and as she gets older stuff to encourage her to sit, crawl etc.

Seconding how useful portage is. My daughter has portage, although it will be ending at Christmas (when her three year old funding kicks in) and then she can access Portex through nursery.
Portage for DD brings toys and games, they assess where your child is and work on small steps and activities to get them to achieve, even if it is at a slower level than other children so it's a really positive thing. DD enjoys it lots too. Plus as Sequeena said, it is nice to be able to chat and offload to someone each week who can offer some guidance and advice for children who don't progress as most other children.
As far as I am aware they can work with many ages of children, it will be tailored to your LO and what they can/cannot do and what they need :)

Thank you - oh I really hope we get it now. It's exactly what we both need x

Portage were a life line when we used them. They organised a 1:1 for my son. I was sad when he started school as they only see you before then :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->