Pos-Pregnancy Birth control?

Surprised26

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of researching what I want to use after baby gets here. Since I was on the pill when tiny baby was conceived, I don't feel like I can trust that method anymore:haha:

Also, the Depo shot is out as I was on it for 2 years and it messed me up a whole lot (10 pound per shot weight gain, no periods for 3+ years, and I blame it for my extreme vitamin D deficiency). Although I didn't mind the missing periods, the weight also took way longer than normal to lose (couldn't shed a single pound of it until my cycle returned and my hormones normalized...afterwards I dropped over half without even trying).

My current thoughts are either the Mirena IUD or Implanon, but of course have read countless horror stories about both.

My biggest fear about Mirena is the strings poking the mister :sex:

And my fear with Implanon is the breaking in my arm possibility.

Anyone have any views/experience on either, or a recommendation on another method?

I had the implanon for several years, it worked really well for me. I loved not having a period, and really the chances of it breaking are slim. It was a little bit painful getting it in and out, especially after a few years but definitely worth it in my opinion.
It also depends on whether you'll be BFing or not as to what contraception you can go on :)
I can't have the pill based on family history but I forget to take it anyway, so it will be implanon for me again after birth!

I had the Mirena after my DS was born. It took a little while to get used to, as the initially fittin makes you a little bit crampy on and off with intermittent bleeding for about 3 months but after that was a breeze. No periods, no side effects and my DH could not feel the strings at all. But if you find they can they can always trim them back.

Best of all my period returned one month after removal and second month after removal I conceived this LO, so it obviously didn't affect my hormone balance at all.

I'll be getting one again after this birth but keeping it the five full years this time!

I've decided to go for the injection asap after baby is born. Can you mention it when you see your midwife/doctor? They might be able to advise you x

Sure I could ask my doctor, but I've found that Drs typically push the companies that they have deals with rather than finding the best fit for the patient. I'd much rather hear from people who've had them and the good and bad that came with them. :) As for the injection, I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy what that drug did to me. Thanks for the input ladies.

Also, I won't be bfing due to a few personal reasons, so that won't be an issue when deciding.

Following as I just had the implanon (nexplanon) put in & I am quite nervous!!! ;)

I'm deciding on contraception at the moment too, I've used the pill before but I was always forgetting to take it, and like you I had a friend who fell pregnant on the pill so I won't be using that.

I'm looking at something to cover me for around a year until we TTC again.

Stalking this thread :)

Well as it turned out for us, we don't need birth control becuase we have the opposite problem and can only get pregnant via IVF, but before I knew that, I had done a lot of research and I was going to do the copper IUD. I can't handle hormones. I actually tried to get the copper IUD in the past, but my uterus was too small before having a baby.

Following..
I had the iud in for five years and it was great. It did take me a few months to get back to a regular cycle (though I've never been very regular) and conceived this lo without trying less than a year after removal.
if op doesn't mind, I'd like to ask other ladies opinions on the best birth control to use while breastfeeding.

I'm following this post as well. I've been trying to figure out what would be best to use, especially since I will be trying to bf if I can this time. I had the Mirena IUD before and I honestly hated it. DH could always feel it, even after trimming, and it caused me a lot of pain. My period were shorter, usually just 3 days, but I had such severe cramps that I nearly passed out at the store one day. I won't be trying it again. I'm going to have to talk to my doctor as well about it. They prefer I not use certain ones, as my mom had an estrogen induced breast cancer, as did my great grandmother.

I had Mirena, and while there were no problems with strings poking, after I'd had it awhile it gave me a terrible smell. Truly awful! It went away within a couple days of having it removed. They tested for infection and tests came back negative so I don't know why that happened. I'm fairly certain Mirena was the cause though. I liked it up until that point.

I've read that the IUDs are best for breast feeding, but there's always a risk of decreasing supply. I'm starting to lean toward the Implanon myself, simply because the IUDs are sounding scarier the more I read about them, lol. I am wanting something long term, as I'm not sure what my stance on more children is just yet (gotta make sure I can keep this one alive and well first, little more complicated than a puppy :haha:).

Any and all input welcomed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->