Positive Starting School Stories....

karlilay

Mum of 2 :)
Reaction score
Madi has always been very anti social, she went through an awful anxiety stage around 2 year old, but got a bit better. She is still very shy, but after sending and taking her out of Pre School in Jan, and re starting her in September, she seems to be coming out of her shell, growing up, and fitting in.

Now i know its a whole year away, and i totally think she will like it because she is very bright and loves to read and write etc, but please could i hear some positive starting school stories.

I am terrified. She has a few friends that have gone up this year, and she is really one of the oldest in her year. And i know only one of them that seems to have adjusted well. My friends little girl, has never been a problem, shes very out going, loved Pre School and other kids. But after the initial start, she now cries every moring before school and its breaking my friends heart.

I hear others that are so tired, find the day long, scared if the big kids... and i am just dreading it :(

She will be fine. My LO is one of the youngest and yes, he's struggling a little with the whole routine of it all and the academic bits and bobs. But you've already says that Madi is really interested in all that stuff! If she's coming out of her shell and making friends now, I'm sure she'll be ok :hugs:

Hope so hun, sorry to hear your gorgeous boy is struggling a bit! :(

I think tiredness is something that most children starting school will struggle with so i wouldn't count that as a problem. Plus it tends to affect children who are summer birthdays more than autumn birthdays. You can get round it a bit by sending Madi to playschool for more sessions and include a whole day in her week but for me i don't think it's worth it. Had we sent Daniel to playschool more he would of been grumpy from being 3 rather than 4 lol.

Other than the tiredness i would say Daniel has settled in well. I do worry about him as he seems to get invites to so few parties compared with the other children in his class. But that is my worry and Daniel certainly isn't worried by it.

I think Madi will be fine. It's very unusual for a child to cry and really not want to go to school. At the school that Daniel goes to it always seems to me that the children are pretty excited to be going to school.

DD2 started 4-5 weeks ago and she absoultly loves it. When she was on half days she hated it as she wanted to go for full days instead and she told me last week that she wished there weren't weekends so she could go 7 days a week :wacko:
Her birthday is around the middle of the school year (April) so she is only 4 years 5 months, not sure if this really makes a difference as DD1 is an October Birthday and again we had no problems, she has always loved school.

Before this she was in nursery for a year for 3 hours a day, none of her friends went up with her to her school but she has seemed to make new friends quite easily and is always talking about who she has been playing with.

I'm sure your LO will be fine :hugs:

Lewis is one of the younger boys in his year, only just 4 when he started in September. There are 2 classes of 25 in his reception year and he didn't know anyone before he started!! :cry:

He is usually confident and quite happy to leave me when he's around people and children he knows, but can take a while to come out of his shell with those he doesn't so I was a little worried for him. He also likes his own space, a lot, so again another worry for me as to whether he'd mix well.

The first week he was fine, the second week he cried each morning and said he was sad that I'd left him, the third week he was ok as long as I stood and waved to him, the forth week he was fine but said he was going to be sad (said with a big smile on his face) and the 5th week he was great.

He talks about the other boys he sits by for lunch and he's already asked if so and so can come for tea. He also runs around the playground with a couple of the boys from his class first thing in the morning so I guess he's ok.

He's not as advanced as the others in his class, but they're mostly 5 this side of March, but the teachers say he's doing well but will obviously need to work harder, easier said than done when all he wants to do is run, jump, play,wrestle and dress up!!

This is his first week of full days so tiredness will probably be an issue, it already was on half days !!!:dohh:

J and Mboth did well. M adjusted better ecause she went to preschool first. J never and he was fine, but every Monday morning until grade 3 would be hard. Some teachers let you in to help or read. She'll be fine. I think all moms worry, but somehow they adjust and the teachers are experts so follow their lead and advice.

I work in a pre-school and my eldest daughter who is now 7 would be fine when she attended the days i worked but when she went for days on her own she would cry when i left her - this literally happened all year - she wasnt always upset but i ended up dreading her on her own days BUT when she started school she was absolutely fine, no tears ever and she settled very well.

My youngest has started pre-school and i was dreading dropping her off the days i dont work but i neednt have as she prefers to go to pre-school without me !!! charming!!! ha ha

i wouldnt worry honestly alot of children go through a stage where they get upset and dont want to go pre-school/school but they do grow out of it x

Tegan's the youngest in her class. She absolutely adores school, she would go every day of the week if she could. She'll be fine. Don't worry :flower:

I teach the reception class so I can tell you how it is from an 'insider's' view :lol:.

Out of 30 children about 25 of them are fine from day one and settle straight away with no separation anxiety and no tears. There are maybe a couple who have a few tears when their parents initially leave them but then are fine within a couple of minutes. Then there are maybe one or two children who do find the whole process more difficult and take a bit longer to separate and there are tears. When that happens I tell the parents that they can ring me to ask how their LO has settled during the day if they are worried. At first a lot of them do get tired especially if they have only done half days at pre-school. In over a decade I have never had a child cry for more than a few minutes and by this point in the term (almost half term) they are all pretty much settled and well into the swing of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->