Possible ADD/ADHD?

MissyR

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a 6 year old son, who is in first grade. He had quite a few difficulties at birth, he was a term baby, but had to be incubated for his first week of life and put on a breathing tube. He developed pneumonia after inhaling fluid on the way out. He spent his first month in the NICU. It was a traumatic time for us all.

Since his birth, he has developed an eye issue. His right eye never lost the far sightedness that babys are born with. His eye now wanders and we are in vision therapy to try and correct it. He has to wear an eye patch over his good eye for 30 minutes a day (which he can not stand and gets very upset). But it causes his "bad eye" to work and strengthen.

I and my sons teachers have noticed behavior issues. He has been in an Individual Education Plan since starting school. These classes help him, but if a teacher tries to make him do something he doesn't focus, stares off into space, or just plain out refuses to do anything. He even threw a book at his teacher because she told him to finish his work and he didn't want to. He has frequent outbursts like this.

He is a fairly quiet child however, he isnt one to "bounce off the walls" or be "overactive". He can focus on a task for a length of time if he enjoys it or if I, or his teachers, sit right next to him and help him along.

His biggest issue is temper, he can become angry over the smallest things and start throwing toys or other things. And it takes him awhile to calm down.

Could a lot of this be ADD or ADHD? He is currently being evaluated by the school system and school psychiatrists to get their opinions. It could be months until I know for sure. Is this something i should bring to the attention of his doctor right away or should I wait for the school to finish their evaluations?

All this going on with my little man and being pregnant on top of it, is wearing me down. Any advice or strong words of encouragement are helpful!

Hello there! You abosolutley shoudl tell his Dr his DR shoudl knwo of his IEO and all of this :) my daughter has ADHD and few other things, but the ADHD doesnt usually cause anger outbusrts at least she never has had them. I wanted to answert this becuase of the school part. You Doctor can help diagnose or refer you to someone to diagnose your son and it will happen ALOT faster than the school, the unfortunate thing I have been told by two school Psychologists in two diffrent states is that they do not like to diagnose a child due to the fact once they do diagnose THEY HAVE to treat that child and they say the school just doesnt want them to cause they cant afford it. Again im not sure if this is the case of why its taking so long but that was the reason in all three school system for me. It does sound to me like hes frustrated, which is when my daughter acts out the most but she doesnt like throw things, she will slap her forehead and do things like that. Sound to me like the teacher needs to find a happy medium with him and talk to him, ask him what about the work is hard or whatnot, that really helps with my daughter. Please dont think im bashing teachers its just hard sometimes to not have your child lost in the system. Set up a time with his DR and tell them what been going on and bring a copy of his IEP, the DR will send survey's to the Teacher to evaluate his behavior so they can help him, and dont be afraid of possibly having him take meds. It may take a minute to find the right one, but when you to its a great tool that will help give him confidence in his work it helped for my daughter and we did everything homeoppathic first but in the end we found medidate to be the best bet for her. I hope you find a great tool for him homeopathic or not, and I wish you the best of luck, just remember if u end up having to fight for his school rights, do it. the best thing i ever did was not let the schools give me a no we know our kids best and sometimes we put up a little fight to get them the help we need but its all worth it to see him happy :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->