• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Possible autism?

happyface82

Reaction score
My daughter, now 5,5 years old has always been a little different. When she was a few months old, she would always have this super serious face when greeted by others outside our home and just look the other way. No tears, no drama. Just a blank serious face. Then at the age of 2-3 years she wouldn't play using her imagination (we see it more now as we know more). She literally spent that year reading books (not actually reading but she knew about 10 stories completely by hard and kept reading them to us) or in front of a mirror re-enacting some episodes she had watched on you tube. Other than that it was puzzles or painting. At the same time she developed a phobia of children. We could only take her to the park at quiet times. If she went to the slide and another child went begind her she would have a panic attack. She was -and is to a lesser extend- very sensitive with noise and smell and touch. We could not walk on a busy street. She would instantly have a metldown. We still cant put even a plaster on her - its always such a nightmare. Her teachers always have a little laugh at school when she falls and has one tiny scrath but spends the day limping as she is so sensitive.
She is now 5,5, she has been diagnosed with selective mutism (a phobia of talking to certain people at certain situations. Took her over 7 months to say 1 word at achool and took her 5 years to speak to another child... She now plays much better but even now all the scenarios when she plays with her dolls are taken from youtube videos. Still her memory is spectacular for her age and she in general is quite bright. She never had tantrums at the age of 2ish like most kids but is full of meltdowns now. She is constantly in tears, her anxiety is very high and she is very very empathic. So if her little brother is in tears she is too. She gets very upset by seeing other people being upset. She is also super sensitive. We can not discipline her almost. Telling her off doesnt work as she takes things very harsh to the extreme. She also has a hard time with us laughing (she cries every time. She says it makes her sad) and she really does not get sarcasm. She takes everything very literally. Her communication skills though are very good as is her eye contact.
She is also very picky with her food. Likes blunt food, no sauces, no herbs in her sauces etc. and she has always had issues with food allergies and tummy issues. We have spoken to two clinical psychologists. They both suggested getting her assessed for autism. They suspect aspergers. Me and my husband will be seeing one of them next for an initial assesment. I was just wondering what your thought are? I trust other parents' opinions very much as we tend to research things day in and day out. Thank you for reading. Xxx

Hello! My DD is 4 and is currently being assessed for ASD. Some of the things you say there sound familiar, some don't but each kid in the spectrum is unique so I guess that's always going to be the way.

My DD has sensory issues with certain noises, clothing and is a very picky eater (including not eating any sauces at all like your DD). She also had a thing about books around age 2-3 and would recite them to us word for word like your DD.

Her Paed was more concerned about her social interaction and imaginative play as far as diagnosing her goes. There are issues with both but they are still undecided and we have another review after Christmas.

Has school mentioned anything ASD wise? They are usually pretty good at picking up on the flags?

happyface82 how do you feel about it all. I imagine you are trying to prepare yourself for a potential diagnosis?

I don't normally relate to many descriptions about children with autism, generally because you learn that each child is soooo different, but I could really relate to a lot of what you described. It would be worthwhile asking for a referral for some help with her issues, regardless of whether it's autism or not.

Definitely worth investigating as it sounds like you have enough reason to. You mention about her responding negatively to others laughing and someone crying, do you think it is empathy or does she not like the noise it makes..? Anyway, I think you're right to ask for a referral. Good luck. x

Thank you so much for your answers.

pinkpolkadot - our psychologist has warned us that we might not be able to figure that out yet as we are talking about high functioning autism which usually shows more later on - especially in girls apparently.

atomicpink - thank you. The psychologist will be going to school to observe her for 1 hour at the beginning of November and she will also come home. So we'll see what she thinks then.

kealz - when she was younger we thought it was the noise but sometimes is just a quick giggle. So not sure whether she assumes that the laughing is towards her and she cries or whether its the showing of emotion that freaks her out. Earlier today my husband was being silly and tried to grab my nose twice and she was in the bathroom not directly seeing us and she got upset about it. teasing really bothers her when she is not involved in it.. not sure if she just doesn't get it or what?

Thank you so much for your answers.

pinkpolkadot - our psychologist has warned us that we might not be able to figure that out yet as we are talking about high functioning autism which usually shows more later on - especially in girls apparently.

atomicpink - thank you. The psychologist will be going to school to observe her for 1 hour at the beginning of November and she will also come home. So we'll see what she thinks then.

kealz - when she was younger we thought it was the noise but sometimes is just a quick giggle. So not sure whether she assumes that the laughing is towards her and she cries or whether its the showing of emotion that freaks her out. Earlier today my husband was being silly and tried to grab my nose twice and she was in the bathroom not directly seeing us and she got upset about it. teasing really bothers her when she is not involved in it.. not sure if she just doesn't get it or what?

Yes we are in the same situation and also have been told it is much harder to pin down in girls so we are just being reviewed regularly at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->