Possibly going to be refused home birth

x_Toots_x

Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first post on here but would really like some advice or experience. I am 29 weeks pregnant and already have an 8 year old. I would really like a home birth with this baby. My labour with my DD was extremely quick and there were no complications at all with the pregnancy and labour.

However, with this baby I have had some light bleeding and spotting on and off throughout the pregnancy. I have had numerous scans and investigations and the doctors can't find any reason for the bleeding at all.

I have spoken to my midwife about having a home birth and she has said that I will need to check with the consultant at the hospital because of these bleeds. She seems to think that he will advise against it.

Does anyone have any experience of bleeding throughout pregnancy and going on to having a home birth?

Thanks

Toots
x

nobody can tell you how you can birth. They can advise you and tell you the pros and cons but they cant make you. I think you need a Doula to help you speak your wants and needs. You also need a Midwife who will help you get the birth you want. She is there to help you, why isnt she speaking with the hospital person? Why are you speaking with the hospital person if they arent your doctor? It is your baby, you need to speak up.

:D

They cannot refuse you a home birth. All they can do is give you the facts and let you make the choice. Your midwife or consultant has no real say in if you can have one or not.

I think if they cannot find the cause for the bleeding then they cant use that as an argument against it. Lots of women have bleeding and then go on to have a normal delivery.

Hi

the bleeding could be harmless and cervix related a lot of medical professionals don't realise that during pregnancy your cervix may not have the typical appearance of an ectropion/erosion but due to hormonal changes you can still have exactly the same symptoms. If its light bleeding/spotting I really don't see why that would be a reason for them to refuse you especially if you've had no problem in your previous pregnancy.

Soph x

I don't see the spotting as a reason at all to deny homebirth especially if things like placenta abruption or previa have been ruled out already

I shouldn't see it as a problem as listed above. Are you far from a hospital in case you needed to be transferred? x

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have to go back to see the consultant in a few weeks so will just mention my intention of having a home birth. My midwife is all for me having it but she said that sometimes people with bleeding through pregnancy can bleed heavier in labour and may need to be transferred to hospital. I think she was making sure I knew that that may be a possibility. She said if the consultant confirms he is happy for me to have a home birth then all is fine but if he advises against it, at least I will have all the facts and can decide from there.

One of the main concerns is that my labour with my DD was so quick that if I did need to go into hospital during labour with a complication I may not make it! I'm about half an hour from the hospital. But that is one of the reasons I want a home birth because of the distance and also DH works half an hour away from me so we are potentially looking at well over an hour if he is at work to get me to hospital. At least the midwife can be on her way to me if I have the baby at home.

if you type in home birth trust into google they give you all the pros and cons of homebirth! i had spotting through my pregnancy and a lower than they like hb (not massivly low) and i had a wonderful home birth!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->