Posting for my sister

Xpecta

Reaction score
So my sister just found out she's pregnant yesterday. She went in to get checked because she was having cramps. FTM, so she's being cautious which is great. So walk in clinic said she was 5+5. She then got an ultrasound that said 5+2. The ultrasound confirmed that she was pregnant. But then the doc came in and said that there is only a yolk sac and that there is a 90% chance she'll miscarry. To me that sounds ridiculous!! It's still so early! With this baby at 6 weeks there was only a gestational sac. Nothing else.

Does anyone agree with me that it sounds ridiculous? Is there any stories that we have good or bad to share with her?

Thanks in advance for the reply!

I am not sure on the specifics in these cases. Your sister can ask for a second opinion and ask if they can do a scan again a week later.

Absolutely ridiculous. Tell her not to go back to that doctor. It's really common not to see the fetal pole before 6w (sometimes not even then). I went at 5w2d and saw the gestational sac and yolk sac (good sign to see the yolk too, I believe). I went back at 7w1d and saw fetal pole with a flashing heartbeat. Most I've seen asking this question on forums seem to end up experiencing the same as me. Tell her not to let the doc freak her out... he was way out of line saying that. In the UK, they won't scan (intentionally) before 6w for this very reason. I also had really bad cramps when I found out. Was sure AF was coming!

Sounds like rubbish. With my daughter, she measured nearly 2 weeks behind at our first early scan, measuring around 5 and a half weeks - only a yolk sac. Pretty sure we went back a week later and she had a heartbeat.

Thank you ladies!! That's what I was thinking too, but I want others to help confirm this in her mind :)

I agree far too early to make any presumptions xx

Your poor sister! I agree that it's very early, I only had an empty gestational sac at 5+4. Four days later we saw yolk sac and fetal pole, two weeks after that we saw the heartbeat.
I mean I'm no doctor but it seems like he's jumped the gun big time. I'd be very cross.

What rubbish. I had a scan at 5+5 this pregnancy and there was only a yolk sac, no fetal pole. Obviously I am still pregnant and due soon. I dont know why they are so quick to write early pregnancies off before any abnormality is even seen.

Exactly!! I'm actually quite appalled they would say that to her. She's wanted a baby for SO long, and she worries a lot. She has to wait a week for another ultrasound. It's just going to cause her stress. I'm so upset for her!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->