Postpartum mental health

TZNAY

Reaction score
My LO is 7 weeks old (she is my 5th baby) and I am curious as to whether anyone has been in my shoes before.
I don't know how to describe how I'm feeling other than feeling agitated by absolutely everything. I feel constantly annoyed/irritated by anything and everything. I have such a short fuse and feel myself snapping/getting upset over the smallest things. I don't know if it's just exhaustion (I can't seem to keep my eyes open throughout the day), or something else. I am completely depleted of energy as well.
I guess I'm wondering if this falls into the realm of PPD or postpartum anxiety?
I had PPD with my first, but don't remember it feeling this way.

I'm so sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Any kind of post-partum issue, whether it's strictly mood-based or related to lack of sleep is no fun. I would say this is worth getting checked out. It is possible that this time, you have more anxiety than depression or the other way around, and that could be different from with your first. You're more likely to get PPD if you've had it before, so at the very least, it's good that you're aware and on top of it. My guess is that your exhaustion is not helping, but that this could also be the first signs of PPD. I had it with my daughter and it definitely made the exhaustion feel worse and the exhaustion made the PPD feel worse, so it's a crummy cycle. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more. I hope your doctor can help you sort this out and that you're feeling better soon. :hugs:

Thank you for your reply. I am seeing my doctor this week and will be discussing it with her.
The thing I find frustrating with doctors is that they are so quick to prescribe meds (anti depressants etc)...and I'm not against them I just want to find a more natural way to cope if that makes sense?
What was your way of helping your PPD?

I'm so glad you're taking care of yourself! It is true that doctors jump to medications with PPD pretty quickly, but that is mainly due to the danger of it escalating quickly and causing harm/neglect to the baby (and mom!). I hope your doctor is willing to work with you, though.

My depression was caught early (baby was 1 week old), but included some signs of psychosis, which meant medication was my only option. However, the guidelines are that once the depression screening tool is scoring under 10, they can taper off the meds, especially if I'm symptom free. So I expect that to begin happening now. I've been on the medications for about 4 months and will see my doctor Friday to begin tapering off. I don't like taking medications, especially while breastfeeding, but I also knew I couldn't cope and didn't want to be a mom when I felt so bad. Now, I feel like myself again and I can enjoy my baby. It ended up being a win-win.

Weekly talk therapy was also part of the treatment and that helped me get off the meds quickly. If you're able/willing to go to therapy, they might be willing to try that before putting you on medication, since someone can see you and screen you for worsening/dangerous symptoms on a regular basis. Sending you lots of positive vibes... :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->