Potentially prem twins - how much?

Tacey

Reaction score
I'm expressing milk for a friend due with twins. Does anyone know how much I should express at a time? How much would a newborn, potentially premature twin have in one go?

Full-term twins I know were taking less than 1oz at a time every hour-ish. Usually closer to 0.3-0.5oz in the first couple days, working their way up to 2oz at a time every 1.5-2h with some space at night over a week. By the end of the second week (maybe 3rd??), they were up to 23oz and 27oz per day. But I think because of weight gain problems, they were actually a bit overfed and spit up small amounts frequently, as newborns are prone to do anyway. I don't know if this experience is typical, though. Nor do I know whether the weight gain problems were because they were feeding too little in the early days. I guess that means this isn't much help, but I didn't want to r&r in case the experience could help you a little. :flower:

It does help, thank you!

I'm guessing that based on that, it would be better to have small amounts per bag to save on wastage. They could always defrost two or more if needed.

I wonder whether if you just express a little you might only be getting the watery foremilk? Maybe you could express a big feed but then divide it up into smaller portions?

I wonder whether if you just express a little you might only be getting the watery foremilk? Maybe you could express a big feed but then divide it up into smaller portions?

That's a good idea. I have so far been expressing after a feed as I was thinking it would be richer and maybe closer to what a newborn would be getting, but if I express without nursing first, I'll do that. Thanks!

I think expressing after a feed is a good idea as you'll be getting the hindmilk. I would imagine the babies would take very small amounts at first.

I think what you are doing is a wonderful thing! :flower:

My twins were born at 29+5. They started out taking 3cc every 3 hours (each) and worked up to around 35cc every 3 hours I think when they came home at 37w gestation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->