Potty training a little boy

Jft1

Reaction score
Hello! I’m looking for advise on potty training my DS. He’ll be 2 in November, so I’m well aware it’s quite early and I’ve not even decided that I’m definitely going to start yet. But he’s been showing signs of wanting to use his potty - taking his nappy off and sitting on it, but he’s never actually done the toilet in it yet. So I started researching potty training and as with everything there’s a million different ways - the three day method, more gradual approaches etc. So I wondered if anyone has any advice on what worked best for them? Thanks in advance!

Good luck! I have twin 3.5 yo boys and I felt like during lockdown last year (when they were 2.5), there was a window of opportunity to "train" them. I think they would have responded well to the sticker chart - I even made one! But my husband was not onboard/ready to train them and we needed both of us. I very clearly saw that the window of opportunity closed on us, as the kids approached 3 and gained opinions and free will and didn't much care about pleasing us as much. So they ended up having to do it on their own time, which came around 3y 4m but was quick and easy.
So no advice as far as method, but more around timing.

Good luck! I have twin 3.5 yo boys and I felt like during lockdown last year (when they were 2.5), there was a window of opportunity to "train" them. I think they would have responded well to the sticker chart - I even made one! But my husband was not onboard/ready to train them and we needed both of us. I very clearly saw that the window of opportunity closed on us, as the kids approached 3 and gained opinions and free will and didn't much care about pleasing us as much. So they ended up having to do it on their own time, which came around 3y 4m but was quick and easy.
So no advice as far as method, but more around timing.
Thank you so much for your reply. I’m thinking winter is that window of opportunity where we’re not out as much.. but I could be wrong. Do you mind me asking how their speech was at 2.5? Ds isn’t the best hence the hesitation. He understands EVERYTHING but isn’t using many words, maybe about 15. Which is why I’m wondering if I wait a bit

Hi there.

not sure I can offer much because potty training went smoothly here. My DS1 was night and day clean by 2.5yo. We speak 3 languages at home, so honestly my DS1 only had a language boom around 2.5yo. Before that he was barely meeting the minimums.

He showed interest, so we started the potty with him with diapers. He was 1/2 hit miss at home. He was 2yo. Then a few months later daycare thru the electronic agenda told us, you know, he uses the potty all day at daycare, send him in underwear. That was the first time we put some on him. And... we never put a diaper again! Hes had maybe 1 or 2 accident since (hes 3yo now). But I think seeing the older kids use it prompt him? (Because the groups are made in september, and hes a september baby, just recently he switches to the 3-4 group and hes obviously the youngest).

But all this to say, I think language should be an issue. If the understanding is there when you talk, if he points, you should be okay! We were! Good luck!!

Hi there.

not sure I can offer much because potty training went smoothly here. My DS1 was night and day clean by 2.5yo. We speak 3 languages at home, so honestly my DS1 only had a language boom around 2.5yo. Before that he was barely meeting the minimums.

He showed interest, so we started the potty with him with diapers. He was 1/2 hit miss at home. He was 2yo. Then a few months later daycare thru the electronic agenda told us, you know, he uses the potty all day at daycare, send him in underwear. That was the first time we put some on him. And... we never put a diaper again! Hes had maybe 1 or 2 accident since (hes 3yo now). But I think seeing the older kids use it prompt him? (Because the groups are made in september, and hes a september baby, just recently he switches to the 3-4 group and hes obviously the youngest).

But all this to say, I think language should be an issue. If the understanding is there when you talk, if he points, you should be okay! We were! Good luck!!
Thank you so much. I think I’ll give it a go and see how we get on. It’s also really encouraging that your son had a language boom at 2.5. I’m hoping he’s the same and his speech come on it’s own. Do you think daycare helped with his speech? I know it’s a bit different for you with the 3 languages, which is amazing! Oh and congratulations on the 3rd pregnancy!

I think daycare did help (as a reference, DS2 whos 18months younger than DS1 is 16months doing 4 words sentence...but thats because he follows his brother and repeats everything like a parrot). But I did buy like 6 flash cards packs, and every night we'd spend an hour doing them. We did try to be more consistent in languages too (so instead of constantly saying cheese in all 3 languages all day long, we went for the easiest one to say). So I think both together did help, but I think it can be done without daycare too :)

And thank you <3

Hello. I can't give you advice only tell you how it worked for us.
I didn't read any of the advice, wasn't really racing to do it but Ds woke one day with a head to toe rash and didn't want to wear his nappy because it was uncomfortable - he was 2 years 4 months and very articulate (but i feel that what he understood was more relevant to what he could say).
My method, I put his potty seat in the living room where it was very obvious, took his nappy off and encouraged him to sit on it, not too often, I didn't want him hating it, but every couple of hour - but only if he'd not already piddled, if he had then I'd leave it longer. It really didn't take long, by the time his rash was cleared up he was in pants and telling me he wanted to go, so by the end of the week.

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m thinking winter is that window of opportunity where we’re not out as much.. but I could be wrong. Do you mind me asking how their speech was at 2.5? Ds isn’t the best hence the hesitation. He understands EVERYTHING but isn’t using many words, maybe about 15. Which is why I’m wondering if I wait a bit

My boys have always been great talkers somehow - I don't know what to attribute it too but many people comment on how good of talkers they were/are. I didn't see any connection between potty training and their speech (or didn't know there was supposed to be), unless they understood TOO much and that's where the 'will power' and opinions came in! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->