Potty training advice please. :)

kealz

Reaction score
My son has global developmental delay and possible autism (3yrs).

Up until recently, ds showed no interest in potty training or awareness of wanting to be changed. But... in the last couple of months he has occasionally pulled at his nappy when it is really full or he's pooped. As he loves Thomas the Tank, we got him a Thomas potty which he has really taken to. In fact, if I ask him to get 'the potty' then he will get it, bring it in and gesture for help with clothing.
James is in nursery each morning and home each afternoon. In the afternoons, after he has had a drink, I ask him to get the potty, which he does. He's always happy to sit on it as I put his fave programme on and he knows he'll get praise when he's done - about 4 out of 5 times he'll do something and he'll always have a good look in the potty afterwards and wait for his praise (we sing a little song). Also he like to completely strip waist down before sitting on it. There have been times where he's got off tge potty, it's right there, but still wee'd on tge floor. He likes praise but I wonder if that alone is a strong enough incentive.
My question is - where do I go with it now? I worry if it's in the lounge all the time then somehow the novelty will wear off and he'll start to ignore it. What about the stripping off thing? What about incentive? Stickers might do it, of they were Thomas or Peppa. I think choc buttons would have a stronger impact! Although not healthy and not really something nursery could do as well when we get that far.

Sorry for long post, I'm a bit lost with it all now. Thanks for reading!

Stalking this thread, my LG also has global development delay and is 3. She's recently started to take of nappy and pull at her clothes, she was toy story mad so that's the potty we got her but she wouldn't go no where near it. We then brought her a miniature toilet which is really a potty shaped more round with a back and a flush on it and when you go in it it speaks to you and sings you a song and it gives you a sticker. She has sat on it a few times but gets off then wees on the floor. We brought a child seat for the big toilet but she's sat on it handful of times and still won't go. We've tried everything from bribery to going cold turkey but nothing seems to work. She doesn't speak much so it's hard to explain things to her. Like yourself I'd love any tips

We used that potty! ^ we moved it to next to the toilet and toilet trips were always open to LO so she could see what we were up to. The transition wasnt too bad to be honest, we didnt push it, just encouragement and if no interest, we left it. It all happened quite naturally but she was 4.5 years when she did get the hang of it all.

We used chocolate, but only in the house, and she didnt associate that at nursery because of the different enviroment. nursery helped the transistion too because all her friends were using the toilet

a simple social story might be helpful, with just pecs style images on each page, but hes still very young yet so do not feel pressured!

Thanks ladies. :)

I had seen those potties and wondered if they might be a good thing - I think they do a Thomas one too! :) So that could be a good way to go. I also feel better about using choc buttons at home now and it's comforting to hear how your little girl, pink, was 4.5 before mastering it but she got there. Like you say, he's only 3. I think my next step will be to keep going like we are till Xmas hols and try a no trousers week, with a reward potty that's easy to sit on and plenty of choc buttons on standby! :)

Xmas holidays was when Alex picked it up, I guess its the perfect time because if you cant get out due to weather, you can stay in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->