POUCH! Prevention/getting rid of?!

Wombat

Married mum of 2:)
Reaction score
Hi ladies.

after my 2 c-sections I was left with a horrific tummy pouch. The flab was horrid. I lost all the baby weight and then some and it never went away.

Eventually I had a tummy tuck and for me it was the only thing which worked (I also had HUGE strechmarks all over my tummy).

Now I am pregnant again. I really want a vba2c, but another c-section is always a possibility.

So, ladies. Does anyone have REAL tips how to prevent it or make it go?

Advice like diet and exercise does not work....

SO? Options? Belly binding before and ab workout before? Belly bandit pants after? Not gaining over recommended amount? Getting your fat % after baby below 20?

I was really happy with my body before this bubba, and I am dreading to be left AGAIN with a flabby pouch!

I hope someone can give you tips and advice that both of us can follow as I too have a pouch and I dread what is yet to come

Blessedbaby,

Until now the only helpful info I have found is:

1) Avoid c-section:dohh:

2) If it's your 2nd c-section, ask the doc to cut out the old scar and make a new one.

3) Tummy tucking pants/wrap straight after, not a week/month after
(easier said than done, considering with my c-sections my scar would not close for ages properly and I had yellow pus mixed with blood coming out through multiple little holes)...

I know I sound super selfish and the main thing is getting a healthy baby out, but one of the reasons I am considering a VBA2C is because of the possibility of the dreaded pouch. After my first 2, I was left with a pouch, which overhand my scar by a few inches. It was like a huge roll of fat/skin just hanging there. Was ugly. It sweated underneath. Was itchy and horrid.
It took me 4 years of dieting and exercise and a tummy tuck (didn't plan on any more babies at the time) to get a flat stomach.

And from what I have read, unless you are in a 5% of super genetically blessed women, after a c-section it is almost guaranteed the pouch will be there.

So I really don't know what to advice you, Blessed... For me, the only way I was able to get rid of it, despite loosing tons of weight, was to have a TT.

Although CS makes it worse pregnancy itself can leave you with extra skin. I didnt have a CS but I'm afraid I still have rather a large tummy flap. I had a small one after my first and a much bigger one after the second. However he was 11lbs and I was really huge by the end.

Bunny, extra skin is extra skin. But the c-section pouch I had, was a massive overhang of skin, with a c-section scar as a line where it folded.
Something like this (I just had an even bigger skin flap overhanging almost till the end of the venus mount)

https://millietilly.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/image1.jpg

PS: on the picture is not me, but mine was pretty similar, just bigger/longer...

I am fine with a flabby tummy, but I really want to avoid another massive spaniel ear which goes all around my belly...

What make me so angry sometimes, that doctors so push for c-sections, but rarely anyone thinks of a well being of a mother afterwards. Besides recovery being horrible, in most cases you are left with a disfigured body.

I think tummy tucks should be routinely offered to all women with a belly pouch after babies (proven she reaches her goal BMI and not planning on having more kids...) :blush:

Yep thats just what mine looks like only mine is lot bigger :/ and of course I dont have the scar which I am glad of but it is very much overhanging. After my 1st birth it overhung too but about the same or a bit less than the picture. I think what I have is basicaslly what they call twin tummy because its common in twin mums. I didnt have twins but he was big enough to have been :).

I do agree with you about doctors pushing for CS without thinking of its long term effect both big and small. Evidence points tward a CS rate of something not much above 10% but lots of hospitals have a rate of 40% which is a bit horrifying!

I just read on babycentre that lower leg lifts helps you get rid of it ...

I do hope its true though ... Im also dreading mine as I also have a huge overhang of skin and fat

"I did Brazil butt lift exercise, had toning bands tied my legs and did bridges, used fitness ball to bridges, and also held the ball in between my legs and did bridges or circles. strength training helped. cardio didn't help at all. sit ups made it worse :( so, you should figure out for yourself what works for you. what worked for me was weight lifting and strength training my butt, sides, thighs, and lower back."

Does this always happen with c sections? I'm only in second tri but I am planning a section and just kind of assumed that if you weren't really overweight that you would just have a scar :(

Malia... Depends on how much skin you got. Your genetics. Your age. Etc.

Even skinny women can get it.

Some women don't get it with c-section.

Some women, as Bunny said, get it without having one.

You can not predict.

I had a section two weeks ago and am down to my normal weight but the tummy area above my incision is not flat like it use to be. It doesn't overhang but it sticks out (like I couldn't see my incision looking down until a few days ago, and I have to tilt my pelvis forward to see the incision). I'm hoping it improves with time because I do miss my flat tummy.

Hi Starlight. I am a slender girl and after my section it was swollen (not hanging over but definite lump) above scar. It took a good few months for it to disappear completely. I was really worried. I think it all depends on the size of your baby and your skins elasticity.

Mrs. R, I was wondering if it was swollen because that's the part that hurts. When I lay flat on my back, it's very obvious that the part above my incision bulges and is tender to the touch. I can't believe it takes so long to go down. The rest of my tummy has gone down but is very mushy while the bulging part feels slightly hard.

sounds right Starlight and my incision took up to a year for me to start feeling anything in that part ... hope you heal quickly

I takesa good while for all the swelling to go.you don't always get a pouch. I had a tiny one for a little while after my last baby but once I hit normal weight it went. I don't gave a washboard stomach but there's no overhang at all. I've had three sections. I suppose it's just luck. You're all beautiful pouch or no pouch...you've grown babies that's amazing enough

Well I hope someone on here has great advice because I went full term with twins and my pouch is awful!! lol.. I was so stretched out that even though I've lost my baby weight (2 years later) I still look 4 months pregnant and the skin is saggy and awful looking. :( I wish I could afford a tummy tuck because I'd be at the doctor's office tomorrow!

Full term with twins, you must have had a big bump :). What were their birth weights.

I am sorry, but I think in your case only tummy tuck will help...:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:
Full term twins - well done you! Unfortunately, it is impossible for the skin to unstrech from that size.

Well I hope someone on here has great advice because I went full term with twins and my pouch is awful!! lol.. I was so stretched out that even though I've lost my baby weight (2 years later) I still look 4 months pregnant and the skin is saggy and awful looking. :( I wish I could afford a tummy tuck because I'd be at the doctor's office tomorrow!

My skin is so wrinkly. Especially when I'm sitting or laying down. Does the skin ever somewhat go back? I'm 3 weeks postpartum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->