Practical questions about nursing a toddler

I am going to start weaning so I am not sure my answers will help much as I am not as actively trying to keep breastfeeding.

-How many times a day does your toddler nurse? It varies. Some days it could be 5 times could be 10.. but she LOVES to nurse so never less than 3.

-Does your toddler ask to nurse or do you offer periodically? If so, how do they ask? (nonverbally?) She still cries for it, or sticks her hand down my shirt to try and self serve.

-Do you have any idea how many oz of breast milk your toddler gets from you every day? I have no idea really. At work I can pump 10 0z pumping 2 times in a 6 hour shift. I believe she gets way more than that though as my pumping has slowed down.

-Do you supplement with another type of milk (cow)? Yes, we use cows milk for when we are out, and I either don't have breast milk or have forgotten it. I no longer nurse in public as I am going to be mommy led weaning. but if we are home she gets mommy milk.

-If your toddler goes to daycare, do you still send breast milk to daycare? If so, how much? And do you pump while you are at work? If not, when did you stop? They no longer will give her breast milk at daycare as she is a year old. So they give her cows milk. I DO still pump at work though, and put that milk in the freezer, or send it with her to my grandmas as she will still give her breast milk if I send it.
The part in red is absolutely appalling to me. I can't believe a daycare would deny a mother's milk! I am not sure you can legally do that here. We used to foster and we could not ever not accept a mother's milk for their child if given to us.

i got her doctoer to write a note saying its what she eats. so starting next week she will be doing 50/50 bm/cow until i wean her.

I am going to start weaning so I am not sure my answers will help much as I am not as actively trying to keep breastfeeding.

-How many times a day does your toddler nurse? It varies. Some days it could be 5 times could be 10.. but she LOVES to nurse so never less than 3.

-Does your toddler ask to nurse or do you offer periodically? If so, how do they ask? (nonverbally?) She still cries for it, or sticks her hand down my shirt to try and self serve.

-Do you have any idea how many oz of breast milk your toddler gets from you every day? I have no idea really. At work I can pump 10 0z pumping 2 times in a 6 hour shift. I believe she gets way more than that though as my pumping has slowed down.

-Do you supplement with another type of milk (cow)? Yes, we use cows milk for when we are out, and I either don't have breast milk or have forgotten it. I no longer nurse in public as I am going to be mommy led weaning. but if we are home she gets mommy milk.

-If your toddler goes to daycare, do you still send breast milk to daycare? If so, how much? And do you pump while you are at work? If not, when did you stop? They no longer will give her breast milk at daycare as she is a year old. So they give her cows milk. I DO still pump at work though, and put that milk in the freezer, or send it with her to my grandmas as she will still give her breast milk if I send it.
The part in red is absolutely appalling to me. I can't believe a daycare would deny a mother's milk! I am not sure you can legally do that here. We used to foster and we could not ever not accept a mother's milk for their child if given to us.

i got her doctoer to write a note saying its what she eats. so starting next week she will be doing 50/50 bm/cow until i wean her.

Good for you! I just can't believe anyplace can actually get away with that. Or that they would even ask in the first place. Crazy.

Good for you! I just can't believe anyplace can actually get away with that. Or that they would even ask in the first place. Crazy.

My eyes bugged out when I saw the part in red. If a daycare tried to override my parenting decisions, I would be livid! I'm glad you got it taken care of.

Keep the responses coming ladies! They are so helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->