Pre-conception check at drs?

Dinah

Blessed
Reaction score
Hi

I've been wondering about going and asking my Dr for a pre-conception check in next month or two just to make sure I'm all ok but was wondering what they would check for? lol!

I've already had my test for rubella a few months back and I'm immune so that's sorted. I also got my smear up-to-date at the same time and that's all clear.

I know I'm a good weight for my height so not worried there. I don't smoke and I don't drink and I'm on PNV (Pregnacare) and so is DH now.

Anything else? Don't want to waste their time if all the bases are pretty much covered :D

- Dinah

I went for an appointment before getting pregnant because I wanted to make sure that I liked the person that would be delivering my baby. She was very helpful and gave suggestions on how often we should have sex, gave me a good/bad foods and meds list and was basically there for me to ask questions. I think that it shows how serious you are about being healthy while ttc. I know that I felt relieved knowing that I actually do like my obgyn. Good luck!:hugs:

I went for an appointment before getting pregnant because I wanted to make sure that I liked the person that would be delivering my baby. She was very helpful and gave suggestions on how often we should have sex, gave me a good/bad foods and meds list and was basically there for me to ask questions. I think that it shows how serious you are about being healthy while ttc. I know that I felt relieved knowing that I actually do like my obgyn. Good luck!:hugs:

For me that would do no good because we're military so no matter who my doctor is, I have no clue who will deliver my baby if I use the hospital OB's. If I end up using a midwife I already know who it is and she's one of my best friends at church so I know I like her and her history with deliveries. :)

Wow things are different in America! Over here (at least where i live) who you get delivering your baby is just whoever happens to be working in the hospital at that time. At my hospital there is a 99% chance you will get a midwife/doctor whom you have never set eyes upon! I had lots of midwives during my endless labour, i wish we could have the mw who deals with us throughout pregnancy as our birthing mw.

As for a pre conception check up, i have a friend who is currently ttc and requested one, she was weighed, tested for rubella, advise about healthy living (not smoking, folic acid etc) and told that was all they can do and to come back in a year if she's still not pregnant! This may be different in other areas but i can't think of much else they could do. Maybe an STI check if you're concerned?xx

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Armywife I agree it would be nice to think you'll get same mw throughout. I guess in USA they are paying tho so we just get who we get ;) I don't mind too much I don't think.

I'm starting to think since I've had my rubella test and know about healthy living/folic acid etc I possibly don't need to go. However, I'm a bit worried we might be high risk for NTDs due to DH having been born with hydrocephalus so we might need the higher dose of folic acid. Possibly worht asking about that. Hmm....

Thanks!
Dinah

I'd def go just in case there is something more they can tell you. I don't think it could be called a wasted appointment so long as you're assured you have done all you can. Only other thing would be to request a group b strep test. I had it and didn't know till i went in to be induced, my cousin had a baby die due to complications caused by this so always worth asking as its not routinely tested for xxxx

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Armywife I agree it would be nice to think you'll get same mw throughout. I guess in USA they are paying tho so we just get who we get ;) I don't mind too much I don't think.

I'm starting to think since I've had my rubella test and know about healthy living/folic acid etc I possibly don't need to go. However, I'm a bit worried we might be high risk for NTDs due to DH having been born with hydrocephalus so we might need the higher dose of folic acid. Possibly worht asking about that. Hmm....

Thanks!
Dinah

I suspect that may be the case. That's why I didn't know who would be my doctor with Muffin, we don't pay for TriCare (military insurance) and once you're in labor and admitted it's whoever. I saw the same two doctors (they work in teams I guess at the hospital I was at) all the way through once we got married but they have a different team of doctors and midwives who work the L&D department and they rotate, so you get whoever you get. I was induced for elevated BP and was in labor for 32 hours (pushed for 3) so I also went through a lot of different doctors and nurses. lol

It's interesting reading posts here and seeing some of the differences in how things are done in different ways here vs. in the UK. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->