pre-eclampsia fears

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Anyone have pre-e with their first but the following pregnancy/pregnancies were fine without developing it again?

I had pre-eclampsia with DD who is 2 now. It went unnoticed because my dr at the time kept assuring me I was fine until I hounded loud enough to do a 24 urine catch and the blood panel, sure enough with the results I was sent to the hospital to be induced.

Now I'm 17 weeks with #2 and I'm terrified of pre-e happening again. I keep having moments where my heart beats hard, or I'll see a speckle in my vision or like a pulsing in my eyes on occasion. I see my midwife again on Thursday so I plan to express my fears again.

I was at urgent care 2 weeks ago for a sinus infection and my blood pressure was right where it should be. We have a bp cuff here at home, but when I pulled it out my heart started racing so I decided against using it until I talk to my midwife.

Yes. Induced due to pre eclampsia with DS1 never developed it with DS2.

Yes. Induced due to pre eclampsia with DS1 never developed it with DS2.

This gives me hope. Did you ever have times where you thought it might be developing or felt your bp go up a little bit, even if it wasn't pre-e high?

Did your dr have you do any preventative measures? I'm not sure if there really are any. I'm taking baby aspirin and increased the protein in my diet because I read a few studies suggesting high protein could lower the risk. :shrug:

No I didn't sorry. Had pretty much perfect pregnancy with DS2. Doc did have me take calcium tablets as he believed this help reduce the risk of pre eclampsia developing again.

I had pre e with dd2, nothing with with dd1 or ds, I had more appointments with ds because of having pre e beforehand but that was it.

With DD#1 I had pretty bad PIH which they suspected was turning into pre eclampsia, there was traces of protein and bad swelling/retention. I also suffered visual disturbances. She also had asymmetrical IUGR so I was induced at 38 weeks. She was only 2500g

So it didn't develop but it potentially could have. I have since had 2 more babies and am now on my third and no similar issues have arisen (touch wood). I have been prescribed aspirin in all subsequent pregnancies however to lower the risk.

I had severe pre-eclampsia diagnosed at 33 weeks with my first. He was immediately induced (which failed) and led to an EMCS at 33+5. I was classed as severe due to off the charts protein in urine, my BP was just regularly high (150s/90s), I had "regular" swelling (couldn't wear my wedding rings and my feet and ankles were puffy at end of day) but no pitting edema and nothing that would be considered out of the ordinary swelling for pregnancy. I did have carpal tunnel syndrome from the swelling. I had no headaches, no liver pain, no visual disturbances.

In my second pregnancy, I was instructed to take baby aspirin (81mg in the US) daily to prevent re-occurrence. I did have pregnancy induced hypertension from around 32 weeks, although I firmly believe it was psychosomatic as I suffer from anxiety and DS's birth was a traumatic experience. My high BP ONLY showed up at the doctors with a manual read. When I was in the hospital it never, ever recorded high. It also showed up the same week my pre-e symptoms started with my first. I was given two 24 hour urine tests (both came up fine) late in my 3rd trimester and was admitted to the hospital for monitoring around 36 weeks (had one of my tests there) because it was high at the doctors office. I was taken every few hours in the hospital and was never high. I was induced and had one reading over 140 systolic right after an anxiety attack, but bottom number was fine and that was it.

I am on my third pregnancy and I start baby aspirin tomorrow. I have switched providers and have had no raised BP at the office as of yet.

My mother had pre-clampsia with her 3rd, but only her 3rd and she was over 40. I had it with my first and I was 25! But family history of BP issues as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->