Pre-TTC Checkup--What to expect? UPDATE

LadyofRohan

Mummy to Éowyn
Reaction score
I just scheduled a checkup with my GP for next Thursday. When the receptionist asked what it was for I didn't exactly know what to say but just told her "a consultation with GP to make sure I'm healthy for pregnancy."

I've been reading up a bit (I received my copy of "What to Expect When You're Expecting yesterday! :thumbup: ) and I'm trying to figure out what I need to ask for when I get there. I had my last 'woman's exam' just a few months ago and my GP commented on how healthy I was (I eat right and exercise daily so I'm in pretty good shape) and all my tests came back fine. I plan on asking her what she recommends about my BC...whether to take it out now or to just take it out when we start TTC.

Do I need to ask for specific blood tests or anything? Is there anything else I should ask for while I'm there?

Thanks!!!

Cheek of the receptionist even asking.

As far as I am concerned it is none of her business -confidential between you and the doctor. I would mention to the doctor that this was asked, as i am sure its not normal for receptionists to need to know.

But good for you going for a check up - its good to know everything is okay before ttc.

I have had blood tests recently for starting a new job (work in healthcare) so I know I am immune to rubella, chickenpox and Hep B and I know my blood group and rhesus status. If you haven't had these tests before then its good to get them checked before conceiving so you can get immunised, and also to check your blood group (if you are rhesus neg then you may need extra observations, esp in labour and post partum)
I am going for my smear next week and was going to ask about taking my intra-uterine device (coil) out prior to trying. Just in case I need to let my endometrium heal or rest before trying lol -that may be totally stupid and pointless but it's something that has crossed my mind. Sorry -dont know what a BC is but it sounded like a coil?

Otherwise, remmeber to ask about prenatal diet and vitamins ( folic acid being the most important one -should take from 3 months before ttc).

Good luck x

:dohh: Oh yeah! I completely forgot about asking for prenatal vitamins!

Do you think it would be weird if I wrote all of this done in my handy purse notebook and whipped it out during the appointment to make sure I ask all the questions?

OT: It's usual for the receptionist at this doctor's office to ask the reason for the appointment....I think it's so they can make sure they put aside enough time for it. Also, they need to know if you are going to have lab work done or if you are going for your woman's appointment because they only do those on certain days. I never thought anything of it, really.

no, take notes with you so you don't forget! They actually tell you to do that...but how many of us have remembered enough to actually do it? Nevermind remembering all of our questions afterwards.... I usually walk out of my appts kicking myself for forgetting something important. lol

I went to see the nurse at my GP surgery for this recently and it turns out they don't do anything like it. She checked my blood pressure but said all she could do apart from that was a smear test and it wasn't worth it as I only had one last year. I was left feeling a bit silly and like I was wasting my time. :cry: Hope you have better luck than me!

Hi hon, I went for one a few months ago and all the doc asked was about whether my periods were normal and regular. He said my weight was ok and advised me to take prenatals. Wouldn't offer a smear (because of my age I suspect but is still a bit daft!)... I felt a bit like belgiansunset... perhaps the actual checkup depends on whereabouts in the country you are.
My doc is lovely though :)

Hi,

I recently had a check up for the same reason and I went in with a list of all my questions:

Got all my immunisations up to date (chicken pox, MMR, DT etc. )

Spoke to the Doctor about a genetic traits, blood type and it's significance.

Talked about vitamin supplements, folic acid and exercise.

Did the routine blood pressure testing etc.

Prior to this I went to my OBGYN who did the annual Pap Smear and also an Ultrasound since I told her I wanted to be sure that I'm healthy.

Just got back from my preconception checkup. It went really well :thumbup:

I asked about BC and she said since I'm on the NuvaRing that I should stop it about three months prior to TTC. So that means I stop it next month!

She talked to me about my running and said that I could keep it up probably through most of the pregnancy (just not to start any exercise that my body wasn't used to already once I'm pregnant) and she also talked to me about my diet and made sure all my vaccinations were up to date (they were). She prescribed some prenatal vitamins that I need to start taking today and then gave me some recommendations for local ob-gyns.

She also did the usual tests (blood pressure, temperature, etc) and then gave me a flu shot and told me that if/when the swine flu shot became available to make sure I got it if I was pregnant.

At the end of the consultation she said that she wished more women came in for a preconception checkup because its a really good thing to do and then wished me good luck!

Now it's a waiting game *sigh* Is it the end of December yet? :winkwink:

I'm glad everything went well. She sounds like a really helpful person.

I'm feeling impatient for the end of November myself so I know how you feel!

I had mine done on tuesday and all I can say it was nothing like any of you had though I wish it was!
My nurse was USELESS!:growlmad: She asked me what I was there for so I told her that DH and I were getting ready to TTC. All she said was: "Why are you here? Are you pregnant yet?"
She did not do a single thing. Did not take my blood pressure, weight, did not order blood work and told me that once I do conceive don't bother to call her until 10 wks as I will probably misscarry! The only thing she did say was take prenatals, which I have been for a month.
My husband and I were both stunned! Luckily we would never be in her care for the pregnancy since we are going with a midwife but seriously she offered us nothing!
I haven't had a pap in almost 2 yrs and she said don't bother she do it when I am pregnant!!:growlmad: So that's great lets not see if there are problems BEFORE I am pregnant....
I know the midwives in my city are awesome. My boss had a homebirth and said to call them the moment we get our :bfp: ass they will want to see us ASAP to do a consult. I know they closely follow their patients and often go to the client's house to check them during labour to save them trips to the hospital for nothing.

So frustrating! I wish we had enough health care providers in this city to so I could get someone else. Without her all I have are walk-in clinics :growlmad:

I had mine done on tuesday and all I can say it was nothing like any of you had though I wish it was!
My nurse was USELESS!:growlmad: She asked me what I was there for so I told her that DH and I were getting ready to TTC. All she said was: "Why are you here? Are you pregnant yet?"
She did not do a single thing. Did not take my blood pressure, weight, did not order blood work and told me that once I do conceive don't bother to call her until 10 wks as I will probably misscarry! The only thing she did say was take prenatals, which I have been for a month.
My husband and I were both stunned! Luckily we would never be in her care for the pregnancy since we are going with a midwife but seriously she offered us nothing!
I haven't had a pap in almost 2 yrs and she said don't bother she do it when I am pregnant!!:growlmad: So that's great lets not see if there are problems BEFORE I am pregnant....
I know the midwives in my city are awesome. My boss had a homebirth and said to call them the moment we get our :bfp: ass they will want to see us ASAP to do a consult. I know they closely follow their patients and often go to the client's house to check them during labour to save them trips to the hospital for nothing.

So frustrating! I wish we had enough health care providers in this city to so I could get someone else. Without her all I have are walk-in clinics :growlmad:

And people complain about the NHS.

OP - glad that you had a good result from that! I forgot to state on my post that my doc did address an intermittent back problem that I have, and also that I'm not on any BC so there wasn't a lot to discuss for me personally. We also talked about pre-seed (I brought it up as OH has a bit of a foreskin prob which makes it impossible for him to go *ahem* 'unsheathed' without lube).

HollySSmith - that does sound rubbish! Can't believe she said about miscarriage, that's awful!

Re: the whole issue, TBH I think it's better to go for a checkup if you can, and even if the docs do nothing then it's better to have tried IYKWIM xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->