Preemie teeth.

Srrme

Reaction score
Does anyone have a preemie with Hypoplasia?

https://www.preemiebabies101.com/2012/08/professional-insight-dr-kelsey-bookmyer-dds/

Aha one for the dentist!
No we dont but it was on my mind we might as developing teeth don't generally like upset and commotion.
Both of mine have had their first teeth through at 6 months corrected but Jamie's upper centrals were VERY delayed in eruption as she discusses in the article I was interested to read that as I suspected that the intubation was to blame.
If there is hypoplasia of the adult dentition this would be more likely due to childhood illness rather than prematurity I would think.

Aha one for the dentist!
No we dont but it was on my mind we might as developing teeth don't generally like upset and commotion.
Both of mine have had their first teeth through at 6 months corrected but Jamie's upper centrals were VERY delayed in eruption as she discusses in the article I was interested to read that as I suspected that the intubation was to blame.
If there is hypoplasia of the adult dentition this would be more likely due to childhood illness rather than prematurity I would think.

Elias hasn't had his teeth for very long. His first tooth erupted at nearly 12 months, and he didn't get his top teeth until months later. I noticed shortly after they came through that they felt rough to the touch, and had a discolored outline along the gum line. :dohh: At first I thought it was "early childhood caries" more commonly known as "baby bottle rot" but since he didn't eat sugar, and was never formula fed, bottle fed, or given juice, it couldn't have been that (not to mention, I've been brushing his teeth since they emerged!). I think what we have here was caused by his prematurity perhaps?

If you put up a picture I could tell you if it is hypoplasia -it sounds like it for sure rather than caries. These are just deciduous teeth though, it won't affect the adult ones and not likely to affect even all the baby ones.
its not just bottle fed babies at risk of rampant /bottle caries -long term breast feeding (ie after the emergence of teeth) can still cause decay as the sugars in bm still wash over the teeth. Some of the worst cases I've seen have been where mothers have breast fed past the age of 2. Actually one of them was a premature baby born to an older mother who I treated when I was a lot younger, he had cavities everywhere but no hypoplasia.

If you put up a picture I could tell you if it is hypoplasia -it sounds like it for sure rather than caries. These are just deciduous teeth though, it won't affect the adult ones and not likely to affect even all the baby ones.
its not just bottle fed babies at risk of rampant /bottle caries -long term breast feeding (ie after the emergence of teeth) can still cause decay as the sugars in bm still wash over the teeth. Some of the worst cases I've seen have been where mothers have breast fed past the age of 2. Actually one of them was a premature baby born to an older mother who I treated when I was a lot younger, he had cavities everywhere but no hypoplasia.

I will take a picture today and send it your way.

I just realized you said "one for the dentist" in your earlier post. You're a dentist? :dohh: I could have asked you all this time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->