pregnancy.. do i risk it again?

alparen

Mommy to a Princess
Reaction score
Now my back story... when I got pregnant with Samantha we knew we were taking a gamble because my cervix was shortened down to 13mm from previoius surgeries on it to remove precancer cells. so I was set as high risk and monitored every month to make sure my cervix was staying strong. my dr was pretty confident that it would hold as all the ultrasounds were showing it was not changing and i was stuck on rest my entire pregnancy just in case. 25|+6 days preggy my water broke in the bathroom and i should have been smart ebough to realize that a week before that my horrible cramps i was having and lower back pains that lasted 2 days were me having labor pains. :dohh:
Fast forward water breaks rush to hospital.. wait 4 days in the hospital and then go into labor with samantha and at the same time started getting an infection in my uterus... 12 hours goes by my cervix was thinned but would not dialte because of those previous surgeries it was just a giant scarred cervix.
csection time! Samantha is now going on 34 weeks and doing fabulous
now mu hubby and I were talking about maybe trying for a second but we are both unsure of being bothered because of what happened. Do we tempt fate? I'm terrified that baby would come early again and we'd be going through this again even though sammy has been a trooper and has coasted in neonatal with no problems but a minor bladder infection. I'm terrified of having an early baby again or something even worse. We don't have plans to try again right now as we just had sammy in january but we do talk about it for the future. just curious on opinions of what would you do?

I hope ur lil cupcake is doing well Hun!

What I would say is try and find out all the facts first. You'll probably naturally find yourself picking up bits of information while Samantha continues her journey. Write down the bits you learnt from your pregnancy with her, what happened, while it's still fresh in your mind. It's only natural to think about what you will do in the future.

When and if you decide to try again, speak to someone. (That was always my intention but it didn't quite work like that in the end! This pregnancy was unplanned!)
Ask them what the care plan would be like if you got pregnant again, and what to expect. This will help you weigh it all up.
Also, think about what you would need to do, in case you were on bed rest, who would look after Sammy? Make sure you have support if you choose to go ahead.

yes another baby in the future! you guys have too :) just pushing my own agenda here haha..but seriously..couldn't they put a stitch? or maybe that's a stupid idea. i think i've read about it though.

They had mentioned a stitch to me with samantha if it happened i needed one. I missed my last ultrasound appointment in ottawa because i moved to st. catharines and had to push my new ob in st catharines to send me for an ultrasound to measure my cervix. the tool said to me at 23 weeks pregnant that if my cervix starts to shorten oh well. i'm like dude no i want an ultrasound. so he booked one but i ended up having Samantha the day before i was supposed to go for that lolol.
If we do decide to try again i have a strong feeling i'll be on complete bedrest as i was only on no standing for more then 15 minutes and such. which makes things complicated already having a baby and being on bedrest with also dogs and no family around. I'm not in any hurry anyway after my horrific delivery with Samantha lol.

i think if you want another baby and it what you both want then you should try but baby give your body time to get over the last few months, and gather more info about the position youve been in, aww thats would be nice for samantha xx

oh yes for sure i'll be waiting before we try again. i'm not even close to being properly healed from my csection and not in any hurry to have another baby so soon.
Just thinking about it for the future times. It would be cool for her to have a little brother or sister.

Hey,

I think onlky you can make the decision and i am sure that you would get lots of support and be carefully watched over by the hospital.

I personally would NEVER have anymore but i think its lovely that you would like to give Samatha a sibling, and if you do, here's hoping for an overdue big fat 10pounder xx

I am glad that your cervix was competent enough to hold your LO till 25-26 weeks, and that survival of babies at that AOG is now possible with current neonatal care. Do you have your LO with you at home already? In the end this is your decision as a couple, but I would carefully weigh in all the obstetric risks and make a note of the realities of taking care of your Sammie and carrying another child at the same time,should you decide to become pregnant again. I delivered at 29 1/7 weeks AOG and my Sweepea is still at the NICU (he is currently 40-41 weeks adjusted age) and I am facing the realities of his special needs for his reflux and for his "sensitivity" to new environments as I provide him EBM and struggle with deciding whether I can go back to work or not. I have chronic hypertension and the premature delivery was due to hypertensive complications, so I have already told my husband that I am very anxious and fearful of having another pregnancy and feel that I cannot go through another possibilty of another complicated pregnancy, prolonged NICU stay, possible loss of a child and aggravation of my medical problems.

I am glad that your cervix was competent enough to hold your LO till 25-26 weeks, and that survival of babies at that AOG is now possible with current neonatal care. Do you have your LO with you at home already? In the end this is your decision as a couple, but I would carefully weigh in all the obstetric risks and make a note of the realities of taking care of your Sammie and carrying another child at the same time,should you decide to become pregnant again. I delivered at 29 1/7 weeks AOG and my Sweepea is still at the NICU (he is currently 40-41 weeks adjusted age) and I am facing the realities of his special needs for his reflux and for his "sensitivity" to new environments as I provide him EBM and struggle with deciding whether I can go back to work or not. I have chronic hypertension and the premature delivery was due to hypertensive complications, so I have already told my husband that I am very anxious and fearful of having another pregnancy and feel that I cannot go through another possibilty of another complicated pregnancy, prolonged NICU stay, possible loss of a child and aggravation of my medical problems.

Wow you have been through a lot. Sammy is also still in the NICU she was moved to the level 2 nursery a few days ago but is still being treated as a level 3. So far she has had no complications except for one minor bladder infection. She is 34 weeks and 1 day today. Her blood work turned up her being very susceptible to infection right now so crossing my fingers nothing happens. Thats also why I am so scared. I'm not sure if i have it in me to do this all over again. Take that risk of having another baby this early and face what could be a bad outcome next time. It's like playin premie roulette lol. Not sure I want to make that gamble. On top of that I will have to have another csection the dr's said if we ever did want to try again. Apparently they asked me if i wanted my tubes tied while they were there but i was so high on morphine and fentynyl because my epidural had not frozen me completely and they had no time to do another, i shouted no at the surgeons my husband said lol.
If i'd have not been higher then a kite I probably would have said yes at the time seeing as this experience has totally freaked me out. 7 weeks later and i'm still feeling like crap after that surgery.
I'm happy Samantha never had any complications thus far in the NICU but if it happens again with another baby things could be the complete opposite. We won't be having any more children any time soon because I say so lol.

:hugs: I hope everything works out for you. Congrats on your LO! :hugs:

I hear you on the whole not sure if you can go through all that again. that's why I am so on the fence. My hubby wants a boy now but he understands at the same time how much of a gamble it is. Especially carrying a baby and having sammy at any age will be hard as i will more then likely be put on bed rest and that just won't work with a child in the house and no family around to support me. All my family lives out east. I keep saying I got my miracle baby and was damn lucky to even be able to have one. We tried for 6 months and seriously thought it would never happen because of my scarred up cervix i didn't even have a cervical opening anymore. When my period was due literally my dr told me it was just blood build up till there was enough pressure on my cervix and then it would just bust open. So i consider us very lucky to even get the chance to have my cupcake princess.

To be honest hun its not the NICU journey you have to think about - it doesnt stop when your LO comes home. Sammy will get regular check ups, and other issues may arise (we have THE worst reflux issues in the world due to prematurity - so bad its hard to go out) , other preemies get regular physio, dieticians.... (none of which is scary i promise but!!!) so I would say 'see how it goes' , see what Sammy needs first.

Honestly, having another reflux baby would be my worst nightmare and if that comes true in a few weeks I will actually fall apart and run away :haha: (I dunno why i typed :haha: because i dont think im even kidding!)

Aww sb22 :hugs: Crossing my fingers and thinking anti reflux thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->