Pregnancy + Mental Health

MummyBaron

3yrOldBoy&24wPregg
Reaction score
There is no forum on here for pregnant/new mums with mental health problems.
Pregnancy and motherhood is an extremely difficult time for anyone but when battling an uncontrollable illness it can be an extremely stressful and lonely time.

I myself am really struggling with this pregnancy due to my mental health and with my physical health currently being in bad shape and mobility being limited my days consist of sitting at home counting the hours till my OH comes home from work. I'm only 21 weeks pregnant and cannot see a possible way that I will ever be able to last until 40 weeks and have even considered termination although not told anyone this.

I hope this thread can bring together sufferers so that we can help each other through until are babies are here.

REMEMBER LADIES, YOUR NOT ALONE!

:hugs: to you MummyBaron

I suffered really bad with postpartum depression after my first was born. It took my nearly a year to fully bond with my son. I am so scared to have this happen again with this LO.

Have you got a mental health worker or a mental health midwife? They made be able to help you. I have post natal physcosis after my little boy and they are putting me on medication for 8 weeks before my little one is due to arrive so they are in my system making the 50% chance of the condition returning to drop to considerably less. xx

Hello! I just found out 2 weeks ago that I am pregnant. I have been on psych meds
for 6 years. I was not TTC and this was not a planned pregnancy. However I am happy about it. I always thought I couldn't get pregnant, which is why no contraception was used after 2 years of TTC unsuccessfully using fertility meds with soon to be Ex-Husband. I just moved cross country and seperated from husband. Got together with first love from high school and after one encounter I was pregnant! Quit all meds overnight after BFP without tapering any of them. I have no job, and no insurance. I
am really stressed out and becoming depressed. :(

Don't worry Firefly83 this is why I opened this thread.
First of all take a massive deep breath!
YOUR GOING TO BE A MUMMY! Which is amazing!
Have you spoke to the dad? Maybe look into a small part time job this may help with your depression and stress levels? If not have you got any family or friends to support you?
xx

Don't worry Firefly83 this is why I opened this thread.
First of all take a massive deep breath!
YOUR GOING TO BE A MUMMY! Which is amazing!
Have you spoke to the dad? Maybe look into a small part time job this may help with your depression and stress levels? If not have you got any family or friends to support you?
xx

Yes I have talked to him and he is just as excited as I am. He already has a son so he knows a bit more than I do about what to expect. I am trying to find a job and I am currently staying with my sister and her three kiddos. My family is being supportive and that helps a lot. I know I have a long road ahead, but it will all be worth it in April!!

Defiantly! I'm really glad that you have support around you.
Here if you need a chat xx

I've dealt with this a bit too. I suffer from anxiety disorder and chronic insomnia. I've been given different stories about my medications, but with anxiety - it only gets worse when you're pregnant! I'm already worried I might have harmed the baby taking medication when I was really go round and round in a panic/anxiety attack. The Zolpidem I take to sleep most nights seems to be ok with most docs, but the Clonzazepam I take for anxiety they all say is a big no no on paper, but they have no proof that its ever caused any harm. Its all so confusing. I'm not coming off of anything cold because the steroids your body can create during an attack are even worse for the developing fetus. Ahh well, I still haven't been to my first midwives appt (Sept 6 2012), but they know I was on these meds with my first a 9lb 15.9oz baby boy who is smart as a whip and happy and healthy as they can come at 2 years old :happydance: An anxiety free mom makes for an anxiety free baby. So much for clonazepam causing possible low birth weight... :winkwink:

My doctor was very upset that i'd taken zolpidem at the begging (before knowing) and took me off it straight away xx

Oh wow! So glad i found this forum. Not currently pregnant--actually still suffering from a miscarriage that started in May! With the pregnancy (would have been my first muffin, at 41) and all those emotions, elation, anxiety, fear, and hormones going waaay up, then the miscarriage, the soul searing sadness and disappointment, and hormones going waaay down, and in my case, the months of bleeding...how do you ladies deal with mental illness and ttc, pregnancy, loss? Im bipolar, diagnosed only 2 years ago, still really trying to get a handle on that, now dealing with this, with no meds! I mean 4 days ago my boyfriend said something to me and set off a trigger that had me balled up on the bed crying for hours and contemplating hospitalization. He held me while i cried and vented years of pain and confessed that i secretly thought God had taken my baby because i was too messed up. Im feeling 1000% better today got loads of support from friends n family, plus i think the bipolar pendulum swung in the opposite direction a bit. But that dark time scared me. I had a major breakdown two almost three years ago, ive come a long way n dont wanna go back, but those few weeks carrying my muffin were magical, and i want to try again. How do you ladies cope? Sorry for the rant. So much to say! :)

I was sectioned after my second m/c because I went off the rails it's hard and you'll have months you hate your body and want to stop but some how from somewhere you find the strength and carry on. I stopped ttc when I feel pregnant because after 3 m/c it was too difficult I couldn't cope with the normal ttc hormone swings on top of my mental health. Having a child with mental health is very difficult you have bad and good days but as long as your honest with the people around you when your poorly. I tell my little boy that mummy's head is poorly today and he needs to a good boy and give her cuddles to make her better and he's so understanding for a three year old so be honest and seak help when you need it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->