Pregnant , colposcopy ? Help

stacey&bump

Reaction score
Hi , I'll cut a long story short , was treated for cin 3 which is severe cell changes to cervix in July , had the lletz treatment done had follow up smear in February just got results today they are borderline nuclear changes & hpv I have a colposcopy appointment in 8 weeks time , I am currently 4 weeks pregnant , if even :(

Am wondering if anyone has been in a similar position , can I just have the appointment after my baby ? I'm very worried and don't want to be putting my baby at risk :(

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated thank you x

I don't have the same history as you but was due a colposcopy this week. I rang them and said I was pregnant so they just scheduled another for 3 months after delivery. Hope that helps!

Here is what i just read up about the procedure:

How To Prepare

Tell your doctor if you:

Are or might be*pregnant. A*blood*or*urine test*may be done before the colposcopy to see whether you are pregnant. Colposcopy is safe during pregnancy. If a cervical biopsy is needed during a colposcopy, the chance of any harm to the pregnancy (such asmiscarriage) is very small. But you may have more bleeding from the biopsy. A colposcopy may be repeated about 6 weeks after delivery.

I refused to have one done in my last pregnancy after an abnormal smear and the Dr was not happy with me at all and was very rude to me. I didn't want to risk my pregnancy and had spoken with a nurse at jo's trust who said it was perfectly safe to wait until after my baby was delivered. I also read somewhere that new guidelines had just been brought in to postpone smears/colposcopy until after delivery as pregnancy changes the cells of the cervix and you don't get accurate results.
It is also a slow growing cancer so even if it was worst case scenario you will be fine I'm sure.
I had my colposcopy last year 8 weeks after delivery and was a very pink and healthy cervix.
I am due a smear in a few weeks but I'm deferring it until after delivery again x

Thank yous for your comments I'm feeling a little more at ease now . I don't mind having a colposcopy done if need be but am refusing biopsy as I'm not puttin my baby at any risk , I'm sure I'll be okay til after my baby comes , after all it is only borderline changes so I'm hoping I'll be fine :):)

my OBGYN clinic will do a colposcopy when you're pregnant but will *not* do biopsies. they also put vinegar inside and then iodine to look for abnormal cells with the microscope. those 2 things don't really irritate anything, just sting a little.:dohh: i had a small section of abnormal cells but since i was pregnant (JUST barely, i was only 3w+2d still!) they said we would just follow up after the baby was born. i asked if waiting would put me at risk and the doctor said that the cells are usually very slow changing. of course, i would just ask your doctor what the risks of waiting vs. not waiting are based on your test results and what s/he sees through the microscope.:thumbup:

Thank you for sharing :) I'm feeling so emotional and testy about the whole thing just wish those cells would go away and cause me no harm :( just do not want to put my baby at risk , and won't be x

Hey! I had colposcopy planned last year for cin3 and found out I was pregnant so they said they would keep and eye on me while I was pregnant and they would do it after I have had he baba. It all does depend on ur own circumstances, when is your next appointment? Unless there is a dyer need I think they will leave u xxx

I know exactly how you feel! I had a diagnosis of HPV two years ago and last year's pap was clear.

When I went to see a new doc, he wanted to do everything fresh. Well turns out I was pregnant (during pap!) and it came back positive for HPV.

He did the colpo at about 5 weeks (so very early on). I think everything is fine, since I am now 13 weeks along. I actually switched dr. because I hated the way this doc treated me, and my doc doesn't seem concerned at all about hpv. Perhaps because nothing abnormal was seen during the colpo even though the pap was positive. I still haven't gotten a clear answer either, but I am setting my worries aside.

I know it's hard, but don't worry. I don't think the colpo will hurt baby. And I know it's scary, but my new dr. who is wonderful assures me that hpv is quite common and nothing to worry about. :hugs:

I have to have one due to hpv positive test, but the dr said we will wait til after delivery unless she sees something when she looks at the cervix up close this week. I think I would also refuse unless they really thought it was cancer that could jeopardize my life.

Girls thank yous so much for your replies it really helps put my mind at ease, I don't mind them doing the colposcopy if need be but don't want them cutting at bits til baby's here . It's just borderline changes so hopefully everything will be fine until the baby arrives :) x

Good luck with your colposcopy! Mine is thursday. :( My doctor said pretty much what everyone has told you, the exam is fine but biopsies would be a bit risky.

Thank you and good luck with urs too let me know how you get on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"