Premature Development?

ShadowSeer

Mummy to Savannah.
Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Babies!!

Ive got a few queries about our LO's development. I understand that preemies usually develop a bit slower then term babies.

Savannah is now 5 weeks old (35+1). She is able to lift her head unsupported, look around, follow my eyes and hands. Today she was lying on her front, and she began to push herself up with her hands....didn't get very far, but WOW! Not something I expected yet! :happydance:

When do premature babies usually learn to do this stuff? I actually got told off today for allowing Savannah to hold her head up and look around. :shrug: Surely its a good thing! Weight wise she is catching up very quickly (now 5lb5oz).

Any help with this kind of thing would be great :flower:

Thank you all.xxx.

My aunt has had 2 premature babies one born at 26 wks ( he's 10 now ) and one at 30 wks (he's 9 now). What I understood with them is that thay had to learn the things outside the womb they would have learned before birth. So they had to play catch up. But no baby will develop the same. I believe the yougest was just about 6 weeks when he stated trying to hold his head up. If they're not ready to do it they won't it's that simple!! Congrats she is a beauty!

Niamh was born 5 weeks early and was trying to hold her head up from birth but after that shes developed at her corrected age. Just like term babys some do sone things realy quick and then others take more time.

awwwww your lil bubba is just beautiful :) Congratulations and wow thats great that she's able to do so much so soon. As already said, preemies do some things at the same time, some earlier and some later than others, you somehow just learn to enjoy the ride. Ella was 5wks prem and was sitting at 6months but only crawling at 10months, shes 14months and millimeters away from walking so you could argue that's delayed but her fine motor skills and hand eye co-ordination are that of a 2yr old.

Enjoy your lil bubba she's beautiful

I have been told that when looking at what a baby should be able to do at 1 month, 2 months etc etc than you should do it from their due date and not their actual birth date.

So my baby was born 7 weeks early so when he is 11 weeks old he should be able to do all the things on the list that a term baby can do at 4 weeks old.....

I hope this helps

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->