Premie Pain Relief for labor?

aegle

Mommy to Isabel
Reaction score
Hey ladies,
Sorry for invading your forum, as I don't have a premie, per say.

But my doctors are telling me to be prepared for preterm labour and I was wondering...

Are pain relief options any different if you go into labor at 30-34 weeks?
What was your birth experience like? How long did it take before you were able to see your baby?

I'm still hoping that she'll stay in till term, but I just want to try to be prepared.

Thanks!

I dont think they are but im sure someone can tell you otherwise. i know with my preemie i had a lot of pain relief, including an epidural and G&A. That was at 9cm dilated too - I've heard at 9cm sometimes they wont give an epi :shrug:

It was about 8 hours before I could see her. That was at 27+4 and a standard normal delivery

PS You aren't invading :flower: we're happy to help

I had minimal pain relief - had been waiting for some for 3 1/2 hours by the time she got bored waiting and made an appearance... not because she was coming early - but because my hospital has what I know know to be a reputation for pratting people around and stalling them on pain relief - in the end I did to 8cm dilated on two paracetamol before they finally let me loose on the gas and air!

I had my epidural pretty early on. I was pregnant with twins though and was told to take it as soon as I wanted incase they had to do an emergency C-section. I wasn't able to see my babies for a day..but that had nothing to do with them...everything to do with me. I had some complications after pregnancy and was in ICU for a day. However, my husband was in with them pretty much right after they were born. Other mammas of prems that I met were able to see them pretty much right after .. they were wheeled down to see them and then taken back to their room to relax..shower if needed...etc. I guess it all depends on hospitals, doctors, nurses, etc

Depends how fast they are arriving!
With my first I had nothing, I arrived fully dilated and when I asked for an epidural was told "sorry, not being harsh but no time for that, it will be quick" and it was. I saw him around 2 hours later.
With my second, I actually did manage to get some dihydrocodeine before and that was it until I went of for a GA. I saw him on my way back up to the ward briefly, but then not until I could get out of bed the next day.

The options are the same but personally I'd stay away from anything that crosses the placenta because it makes baby sleepy. I had a 35 week baby and she got to stay with me untill she needed IV fluids for jaundice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->