Prenatal Vitamins-TMI alert :)

lizard148

Reaction score
I was wondering if you have been taking prenatal vitamins for the entire time that you have been TTC. I have been taking them for the past year and a half, because I thought that was what I was supposed to do. In the past, my doctor prescribed me PreNexa (prenatal vitamin), but I am not seeing that doctor anymore.

I have been having trouble with constipation and bleeding when I go to the bathroom, and I read that folic acid and iron in prenatal vitamins can cause this. So I called my new doctor and asked to be put on PreNexa b/c that has a stool softener. Well, the new doctor says he couldn't prescribe a Prenatal Vitamin until I was pregnant. I explained to him that I was concerned b/c birth defects run in our family (my brother & aunt have cleft lip/palate), and I wanted to make sure I was getting the correct vitamins. The nurse still said that it would be ok if I was just taking a multivitamin, does this seem right to you?

I thought I heard that you are supposed to take prenatal vitamins before you conceive...Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Hmmm, my doctor wanted me on prenatal vitamins before I conceived, and most of my research has backed that. Apparently, by the time most women find out that they are pregnant, it is already determined whether or not the baby will have any defects, so it's best to already be on prenatals.

However, I decided not to take my doctor's prenatal vitamin prescription, and just chose my own. She even agreed that they were the same thing :shrug:. And even though I've been on the vitamins for over a year now, I've skipped more days in the last half year. I prefer to get my vitamins/nutrients from the foods I eat.

:flower:

while TTC, docs usually tell you to take folic acid and then once you're pregnant, they give you prenatals.... Im currently TTC and Ive been taking prenatals.
this is what Im taking:
https://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Ligh...BJ30/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307472499&sr=8-1

I took OTC prenatals while TTC. You at minimum need a multi vitamin and a folic acid supplement. Between the two you should be taking in at least 600 micrograms every day while TTC because birth defects can start occurring before you even know you're pregnant.

im on prescribed folic acid do i need a seprate vitamin 2 bit concered cos im on a higher dose of folic acid and dont want to take to much of it if is dangerous but dont want to not take it if i need it x

i would just take pregnacare hun there good i have been on them now for nearly 3 month you can't go wrong with them everything you need in them x x x

You can take Docusate and it won't hurt you. You can also take fish oil/flaxseed oil (both of which provide Omega 3's and 6's - our diet is generally especially deficient in the latter) and it acts as a natural laxative. Those powdered fibers aren't bad either - the ones that are completely tasteless. I've mixed them in almond milk or OJ in the AM and you don't have any idea what you're taking!

Just don't take them at the same time - they're what's called a bulk laxative, especially the flaxseed, and bind to the minerals in the prenate and you end up pooing them out, so it sort of defeats the purpose. :) I didn't know that until I started working in oncology; our patients take a lot of mineral and vitamin supplements to replace what some of the chemo leaches out.

Also - WATER. Lots of water. Especially with the heat. You can tell by my profile where I live and I've noticed I'm a bit drier now all around with the heat. I'm pushing H2O myself. I've got one of those insulated Starbucks cups and what I do is I fill it up and make sure I drink about four or five of them a day (the cup just makes it easier for me to keep track, especially at work; hospital air is VERY dry and since I work on the bone marrow transplant unit, we have double-HEPA-filtered air and it's even worse!). And I'm careful about things that are dehydrating.

And yes, they really want you to take them before you get pregnant. They're actually the recommended DV for any woman of childbearing age. I've taken them for ages, even before TTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->