Prenatals and orange juice??

Angel022605

5K fun
Reaction score
So I've asked my OBGYN if I need to take prenatals with orange juice and he said that I could if wanted to but didn't have to. Well I beg to differ. I've read that iron is very hard to absorb and it needs a booster such as vitamin C. I've also read that calcium in dairy,especially milk, can hinder the absorption of iron. So my question is.... do I take prenatals WITH or WITHOUT orange juice? Please comment your story.

I take it with a full glass of water. I have also read/have a supplement enthusiastic body builder as a fiancé that agree with you that iron is very tough to absorb. I'm not sure so much about the vitamin c, but absorbing iron with more than 250mg of calcium is difficult for your body to do. And most prenatals have 200-250 of calcium already. My gyn used to suggest I take my prenatal with milk for the nausea, so sometimes I think even they can make a mistake. But my What to Expect 5th edition (published 2016) says do not take your prenatal with anything other than water because of the iron in it/ when eating iron or taking an iron supplement to not couple it with anything over 250mg of calcium. Also water helps your body absorb the vitamins/we need extra water anyway

I'm not an expert or anything, but am in nursing school and we have learned that yes, vit C does help with iron absorption and calcium/ milk shouldn't be taken at the same time as calcium competes with iron for absorption.

It wouldn't hurt to take it with OJ unless it causes nausea, and if it is easier to take it with milk as long as you aren't anemic, you'd just have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself. If you get enough iron in your diet, the supplement in the prenatal isn't critical. It's always better to get your nutrients from food.

I don't think OJ is a requirement for taking your prenatals, but if you like to drink orange juice and vitamin C does help break down iron in our bodies then great :thumbup:

OJ is too acidic for me right now so I just stick to water for getting them down.

All citrus fruit help with iron absorption, you can have lemonade too. It's not necessary but it does help, it's true dairy slows it down, you could avoid it hour or so before and after taking your vitamins but it's not crucial. This the advice spatone give,

- Avoid drinking tea or wine within 30 - 45min of taking iron food supplements such as Spatone. The tannin in both these drinks can bind iron which makes iron absorption difficult. Phosphates in fizzy drinks can have the same effect.

- Leave 30 - 45min between the consumption of iron supplements such as Spatone and dairy products as calcium inhibits the absorption in the body.

- Phytates in raw cereal can also inhibit iron absorption. Leave a 30 - 45min gap between the consumption of cereal and iron supplements such as Spatone.

- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) assists the absorption of iron. That's why we recommend adding Spatone in a glass of orange juice.

If you can't tolerate orange juice try apple, mango or pineapple juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->