Preparing for a Preemie

Nichole35

Mother of 1 and pregnant
Reaction score
Hi, Im currently 21 1/2 weeks pregnant. I have a complete placenta previa with an abrution. When my placenta abruted it tore the placenta, the Wall and my cervix. Ive been on stricted bed rest for 6 weeks now. On Thurs I went into labor and ended up hospital. On Friday when I saw my OB and perinatalogist they told me that there is a good chance that i would not make it too full term and to prepare myself to have a preemie.

Im wondering what should I do to prepare for a preemie baby? Emotionally I've been preparing myself, and I'm fully aware of what may come, but I'm feeling unprepared for when my daughter will come home and what i might need while she is in the hospital. Im shopping for preemie clothes online right now, but what else should I have ready to come back home too? Any advise would be wonderful. Thanks

Clothes are fine - but if bubz goes into a incubator there's no need for clothes to start- its warm enough! Nappies are normally provided.

I would say the one thing i needed was a breast pump for expressing at home - electric is best. Most mums express milk for their preemies, its extra important!

Get your health in pregnancy grant form from the midwife as soon as you hit 25 weeks - once baby is born you are no longer entitled to it.

Dont rush for anything to buy for when baby comes home - we had time while Alex was at hospital to shop for things she'd need - but i honestly cant think of anything specific to preemies.

And if you choose to feed expressed milk or formula milk to your preemie - do take your own bottles in, its common for preemies to get stuck on hospital teats and its a struggle for them to take your own!

If I think of anything else - I'll come back!

Work out how visiting NICU to see your preemie will affect your daily routine - your OH and any other children you have.
Find out about transport, are you having a c/section then you may not be able to drive for a few weeks afterwards, how will you get to the unit once you are sent home.
Consider filling all your kitchen store cupboards and freezer so that you don't have to worry about shopping.

As SB said, if I think of more, I'll pop back and add to the thread!

I think Sb said most only when the twins were in the incubator we were allowed to dress them, so Im guessing care is different everywhere.
We had to bring most of the stuff ourselves, Nappies and cotton wool too!
My routine was that in the mornings I would go to my appointments (check up for myself) and if it werent an appointment I would do all the cleaning or shopping or whatever needed doing, then at 12pm I would go in and change and feed the twins, Go back home to have a late lunch and back at hospital at 4pm and then back at 8pm and then home for the night and do the same again. I couldnt stay all day as I had a c section and I couldnt drive!! So OH had to take me or I had to get someone two. Needless to say I only didnt drive for 2 weeks lol x

Thank you girls, My husband was granted 14 weeks payed leave and were trying to save it until the baby is born just in case. I had to quit work when i found out I was pregnant. I also live 2 hours away form the hospital so if needed I'll rent a small apartment near the hospital. I have not even thought about my other daughter and how we are going to work that out.

When Jaycee was in hospital I would have been allowed to bring Chloe up to stay but Jaycee had RSV and its contagious! Its not easy but you can work around it.. I hope you sort something out that works for you all xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->