Preparing for home birth UK

Bexivillian

Reaction score
At my last midwife apt which was 36 weeks she came to do a house check for the homebirth.

Everything was fine, but she didn't give me a list of things to get?

All she said was some towels and the midwifes will bring everything else with them.

Everything else i've read makes me believe i'm going to need more than this.

Any advice?

Leaving it abit late as due any day now :haha:

dark coloured towels,
some disposible bed pads ( like the huggies dry nights ones or puppy training pads )
a shower curtain to protect the carpet and maybe one to protect the bed,
a bucket,
some carpet cleaner,
your labour clothes and something to wear after,
lots of maternity pads,
nursing bra and breast pads handy,
clothes for baby,
nice soft towel for baby
( I laid out a space with the changing mat, nappies, cottonwool pads and water, 2 sets of clothes for baby a couple of soft towels and light as a re'sus area in case it was needed by the mw's which they really liked),
snacks for labour and birthing partner.
lamp or torch in case of stiches,
Camera,
then anything you want to make yourself comfortable, so candles, music, low lighting ( i like fairy lights and lamps not ceiling lights in labour )

I think every area is slightly different as to what the midwives bring with them. Where I am the midwives had most things and brought it with them at the time (bed pads etc). The bits I had to get/found useful were:
Shower curtains to cover the floor and sofa
3 towels for baby (they said at least 2)
Table set up with change mat etc for a resus area
A couple of old blankets to cover me once baby was born and some old pillows which I ended up kneeling on to give birth.
I had a "just in case" hospital bag packed for me and baby which we just brought downstairs so we had everything together for baby once he was born.
We also had to find a torch/light for the midwives to check for stitches so would advise having one to hand.
I'd also suggest carpet cleaner as although our rug was covered I ripped the shower curtain with my toenail so did get a bit on it :s

Think about what you want after birth. Clothes for baby, change of sheets for bed, change of nightie for you. I was well prepaired for labour last time but was exausted and spaced out, busy having cuddles and stuck on my back because of bleeding after the birth and couldn't remember where I had put anything. The MW had to seach for it all. I'd have it all put out in sight next time.

I think every area is slightly different as to what the midwives bring with them. Where I am the midwives had most things and brought it with them at the time (bed pads etc). The bits I had to get/found useful were:
Shower curtains to cover the floor and sofa
3 towels for baby (they said at least 2)
Table set up with change mat etc for a resus area
A couple of old blankets to cover me once baby was born and some old pillows which I ended up kneeling on to give birth.
I had a "just in case" hospital bag packed for me and baby which we just brought downstairs so we had everything together for baby once he was born.
We also had to find a torch/light for the midwives to check for stitches so would advise having one to hand.
I'd also suggest carpet cleaner as although our rug was covered I ripped the shower curtain with my toenail so did get a bit on it :s

This! And they bring some but incontinence pads/disposable changing mats are useful, as well as for putting in bed for a couple of nights because the bleeding can be quite epic overnight I found! Light wise they prefer a desk light with a flexible neck, you know one you can angle? So they can put it on the floor and position it appropriately. I couldn't find my blasted shower curtains last time so used towels and got a fair amount of blood on the carpet that took weeks to get out. Best thing is to pour cold water and salt on or cold water and bicarb and make a paste but not rub it in and leave it about half an hour to soak up all the blood and then wipe it away. Always use cold water with blood, hot water sets it!

Kitten! A name i recognize from my first two pregnancies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->