Preparing the hubby

katerdid

Momma
Reaction score
Up til this point DH has been very laid back about the whole home birth thing - not asking questions, hasn't read/watched anything, hasn't prepared in any way I can tell. He's a very chill sort of person anyway, but now that I'm nearing my due date I think it's time to sit down and have a chat about what our expectations are, what is going to happen, etc.
For my DS's birth he was basically useless, sat in the chair watching tv while I was pumped with pic (PPROM at 35 weeks so not much choice). He held my hand and that was about all he could do. But obviously with a home birth this time, he's going to play a much more active and important part.

What are some good things to bring up? What kinds of things can add to a list for him?

I am just starting to prep hubby for this now lol. My husband also just sat in a chair while I was in labor last time luckily I had my sister who was great (and will be there again) he said he was in shock last time and didnt expect to react that way seeing me in so much pain but this time I am hoping will be different as he knows what to expect.
I have been talking to him about being my main support holding me up when I need it wetting my face with a face cloth we are going to practice some massage so he knows what I like so there is no frustration at the time of labor if it was wrong lol. I have talked to him about saying alot of positive things to me about how well I am doing and I am a strong person and what not. This will be a completely different experience and I think he will be more comfortable well hoping. I was thinking of getting him to watch a home birth video focused on the dads support role so he can get an idea of what he will be doing. I hope this helps and please if you have any pointers I would to hear them also.

I wrote out my birth plan, then sat down and discussed it with hubby. I wanted him to understand how I felt about different pain relief, delayed cord clamping etc. His main job is getting the pool up, once that is done then it is just his support I need, I've explained what'll happen if the MW doesn't get here in time, but tbh with the way my back has been this pregnancy I am mostly envisaging him rubbing my back!!

Honestly, there's not much I want/need DH to do. This time it'll be to just keep the other kids occupied if it's during the day LOL!! With our first HB he just sat in the chair next to me and made his hand/arm available any time I needed it. He'd have done anything I asked him too, he just doesn't have a "game plan" in his mind of what he should be doing so he just sits back and relaxes unless I bark out orders LOL!!

If you're having a pool it'll be his job to keep it at the right temperature! My DH was constantly going back and forth from the lounge to the kitchen.Agree re discussing the birth plan - he needs to know what you want so he can communicate well with the midwives. He should bring you water, prompt you to eat (if you can face it) and yeah, like a PP mentioned maybe try some massage techniques so he has something to do. My DH is quite chilled too but at the same time he HATES feeling useless so I know he appreciated having things to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->