preterm labor, big baby, super early c section?!!

mwest0811

Reaction score
I'm currently 34 weeks, 5 days pregnant with my third child. A little over a week ago I went to L&D triage for contractions, they were 5 minutes apart & STRONG. I was given two shots of terbutaline & sent home. This past Monday I had to go back, same reasons. My contractions were 2 minutes apart, I'm dilated to 1 & thinned out. At my follow up appointment, this past Tuesday, I was measuring big and my midwife said the baby feels HUGE. I was also told this at a 3D ultrasound last Saturday (that baby is big). I'm a repeat c section already, but my midwife has put me on strict bed rest until after this Friday when I'll be 35 weeks. She said if after that my contractions continue, they'll go ahead and take baby.. I'm freaking OUT! I do not want my son to come this early. Has anyone else gone through this?? :nope:

I'm not due for a c section but currently in a similar position. Went into preterm labor yesterday at 34 weeks with terrible contractions, they gave me procardia though, and sent me home. Im still having contractions occasionally but they havent given me any word on what they'll do if the contractions get strong again. :/

All i can say is i hope both of our little ones stay in there a little longer and we both have positive births.

I figured that's what they would do with me! I did the same thing with my first pregnancy and they put me on procardia, I had a different doctor then too though. This time they just want me to be strictly bed ridden and I have a 4 & 6 year old.. kind of hard to stay in bed constantly!!
I go in for a follow up on Monday.. I'm going to try to talk them into doing an ultrasound to check and make sure he's developed enough if he were to come now.. I'm very paranoid about having a premature baby :(

The procardia should help you though! My first, I went into preterm in May and she held out until ten days before her due date! :) sending good vibes your way!

Sounds like your due date is off. I hope everything goes great and baby is healthy if the decide to go ahead

My little one was born at 35 weeks + 1 Day and was a big baby at 6lb 11oz. She was absolutely fine - didn't even go to special care/NICU!

Four days before she was born I had a growth scan and they approximated her weight at 6lb 3oz, if that helps. She was born naturally.

Thanks everyone! I have asked them if my due date is off, and they keep saying it's not.. I had a super early ultrasound and they've told me that it's more accurate than a late one. At my first u/s I was 5 weeks, 1 day. My 20 week scan confirmed my date.. so they keep saying it's dead on, but this baby feels full term. It's my third pregnancy, but this one is way different. I feel like I'm 40 weeks, not 35. If you feel around my tummy you can feel where his head & bottom are and he feels rather large. Could it be possible for him to be a full term size at 35 weeks??

Babies generally do very well after 35 weeks. My daughter was born at 36 1/2, 7lbs 90oz and totally fine.
I'm having twins this time and I will breathe a sigh of relief once I hit 34 weeks because that seems to be a safe zone.

Thanks everyone! I have asked them if my due date is off, and they keep saying it's not.. I had a super early ultrasound and they've told me that it's more accurate than a late one. At my first u/s I was 5 weeks, 1 day. My 20 week scan confirmed my date.. so they keep saying it's dead on, but this baby feels full term. It's my third pregnancy, but this one is way different. I feel like I'm 40 weeks, not 35. If you feel around my tummy you can feel where his head & bottom are and he feels rather large. Could it be possible for him to be a full term size at 35 weeks??

Did you have any funky results with your glucose intolerance test?

I was born at 35/36 weeks and I am completely fine. I spent two weeks in hospital as I developed jaundice, but no other complications. :)

Well.. I failed the first part, but apparently passed the four hour test but I was curious myself if it's possible to still have GD because I get miserable if I consume a lot of sugary foods/drinks.

Well.. I failed the first part, but apparently passed the four hour test but I was curious myself if it's possible to still have GD because I get miserable if I consume a lot of sugary foods/drinks.

GD means big babies, so even if you're not at the level that qualifies as GD, maybe it could still affect your baby's size.

My DS was born at 35+1 via planned c section for complications of vasa previa. I'm told most babies do very well if born this early with few complications. Despite steroid shots I had at 29 wks, his lungs were still premature and he needed to be on a ventilator for 24 hrs to give him meds to helps his lungs mature. He was in nicu for 5 days and then special care nursery for a wk. he had a lot of difficulty learning to bf initially. But despite all of this he is doing wonderfully now and is a pro at bf! I'm told girls generally do better than boys when born premature. As PP said, yes GD means big babies so that could be the issue? GD babies generally have trouble with their sugar regulation initially and may need to spend time in hospital for that.

Just an update!
I went into the hospital this past Wednesday for contractions and sharp pain where my previous c Section incision had been. Apparently I was at risk for a uterine rupture.. my uterus was just giving up. So! Emergency c section for us.. my boy weighed 7 lbs, 3 oz, 18 inches long at 35WEEKS!! They said full term he would have been MASSIVE! But.. He's having a hard time breathing so he'll be in nicu for a few weeks :( thank you all for your responses though!

Congratulations on the new arrival! I'm sorry to hear that your boy is under special care at the moment, but he's in the best place, and I'm sure you'll be taking him home soon!

Congratulations, wow 7lb 3oz he would have been a whopper if he had gone to 40 weeks. X

Wow, what a big guy! Hope he's doing well on his own soon!

Congrats! Sounds very similar to my lo's experience. My lo is doing awesome now. and at almost 2 months adjusted age probably weighs about 14 lb lol. Big boys!

Congrats, sorry to hear your lo isn't doing so well. Hopefully he'll be on his own soon!

My son was 5lbs 9oz at 33weeks. and born at 38+6 weighing 8lbs 12oz.

Just an update, my son was born at 35 weeks via emergency c section, I was at high risk for uterine rupture.. he was 7 lbs, 3 oz, stayed a week in nicu, but is home and healthy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->