preterm labor?

seaweed eater

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I'm planning a natural hospital birth, and I'd like to labor at home for as long as possible before going to the hospital. However, it occurred to me that if I were to start having real labor contractions RIGHT NOW, at nearly 34 weeks, I would probably go in right away because it would be preterm and they might try to stop it.

I guess the point at which I would probably choose to stay home if labor started is probably the point at which the hospital would no longer make an effort to stop it -- would that be 36 weeks? 37? (I live in the US.)

What about you ladies -- what is your plan for preterm labor? If you're planning a HB, would you go to the hospital at the start of labor if it were early enough? How early?

Thanks in advance :flower:

Hi,

I'm in the UK so I don't know how much difference there is in care but I started with preterm labour with my first son at 34 weeks and was told that they wouldn't do anything to prevent me having him as 34 weeks and onwards is considered an early baby instead of a premature one iykwim.

He managed to stay in of his own accord until 36+3 luckily, but I had a horrible consultant led experience so I'm doing everything I can with this pregnancy to get to 37 weeks where I can have him where I want. I'm currently 36+2 and am panicking at every twinge lol!

Hope this helps!

Hi, I'm not pregnant but I did plan on having my LO at home, however he had other ideas lol!!

I went in to labour at 36 weeks, they told me to come in straight away as my waters had broken so they were worried about infection. I think if my waters hadn't broken at home they would have let me labour there either until the pain got too much or until my waters broke. There was no way they would let me home birth though, which was fair enough as LO ended up in SCBU for 10 days!!

FX'd you don't labour early x

My midwife said she'd handle it as a regular homebirth if the baby is at 35 weeks or later... I'm sorry I don't know the answer about where the hospital draws the line at supressing / allowing.

Thanks everyone, was just wondering what your approach would be -- at what point you would go in vs. not. Would love to hear from others too. Hopefully it's not an issue I have to face; I just got to wondering about it.

At my hospital they dont stop labour after 33 weeks so after this i would stay at home for as long as possible. I had my DD at 35 weeks and dident get to hospital till i was 9 cm because i dident know i was in labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->