Prev C-sect = no induction?

Bubsta

Love my Girl & baby Boy!
Reaction score
I was told today that as I have had a previous c-sect (emergency) that I won't be allowed to be induced? I've never heard of this before. Is this true? :shrug:

It might be in Australia...I know in Canada and the US they are getting ever more hesitant to induce for VBAC as induction (via cervidil, pitocin, etc) dramatically increases the risk of uterine rupture due to overstimulation of the uterus. Doesn't really help you as I know nothing about Aus, but might be similar.

My consultant is happy to induce and my c section was only last February. He knows how much I want to avoid a repeat c section and said the increased risk is so minimal, about 0.1% that it really wouldn't make much difference. They've even agreed for me to labour in water, with intermittent monitoring, but got to give birth 'on dry land'. As with any induction, I'll have to sign a consent form for emergency c section, but he's said he sees no reason why I can't have a vaginal birth if that's what I want. They can't force you to have a c section.

In UK they encourage vbac and will induce just causiously. The risk of uterine rupture in vbac is higher than a woman who has not had a c section. With induction drugs the risk does increase but we are still talking less than 1%. There are risks with a repeat section. It's up to the woman and her doctor to weigh up those risks and decide what is best.

I'm in the US and both my OB and MFM docs have said no to an induction after a c-section. By the time this baby is due, it will have been almost 5 years since my c-section so I would think my risk of uterine rupture would be pretty low :shrug:. I'll do anything to avoid a repeat c-section so if the need for induction arises, I'm definitely going to ask again. I guess it really varies depending on your doctor, just like some doctors are adamantly against VBACs for some reason while others encourage them. :flower:.

Thanks for the replies girls. I'm thinking that maybe it will depend on the OB then. My OB encouraged a VBAC so I'm thinking he will probably be ok if the need for induction arises. My DD came 4 days early but I was induced when failed to dilate. So hopefully my DS will come early and my body will do what it needs to do this time. I see my OB on Thursday, I'll check with him then. X

In uk, 8 years ago I was told no IV drugs for induction but could still have sweep and rupture of membranes.

No induction at my hospital, but they will sweep and try and break my waters. Hence why I will be bouncing on my ball from 37 weeks, eating curries, pineapple.....

I'm in the UK and had emergency c section 4 years ago. Now at 40 weeks PG. I'm not to be induced at all. All they are doing is a few sweeps, but booked for an elective (although OB encouraged) section next week. They will try and break my waters when I go in at first, but if there is nothing within 4 hours, then it's being sectioned in the afternoon. Basically trying to give me a chance to labor naturally, but not leaving it too long to section as no induction is possible.

So it sounds as though it really does depend on where you are and your OB. Very interesting! I'll be interested to see what my OB says tomorrow then.

I'm in the UK and had emergency c section 4 years ago. Now at 40 weeks PG. I'm not to be induced at all. All they are doing is a few sweeps, but booked for an elective (although OB encouraged) section next week. They will try and break my waters when I go in at first, but if there is nothing within 4 hours, then it's being sectioned in the afternoon. Basically trying to give me a chance to labor naturally, but not leaving it too long to section as no induction is possible.

I have been trying to get a planned section booked in Edinburgh for next week but all spaces are gone :-( now I have to go to St. John's on 3rd june
If you go yourself - ask them to give me your slot lol - just joking - fingers crossed things go the way you want and you get e birth you're after.
X

Well, I saw my OB today and he said that he has no problem inducing to start labour, but if I'm already in labour and fail to progress, then he won't induce. (He used a different terminology but that is how I understand it).

I saw obstetric registrar yesterday and I'm being induced for my vbac tomorrow. I was 2-3cm yesterday so they are not needing to use a prostin pessary and will just break my waters. She said risk of uterus rupture in vbac is 0.2-0.8% if you go inyo labour naturally. Arterfical rupture of membrane does not increase your risk. If I need the hormone drip it goes to 1%. So all very low. It's the prostin pessaries that carry the highest risks but if your body is ready and you are already starting to dialate and soften then you don't need them. Keep your fingers crossed for me tomorrow. So so nervous!

I have been trying to get a planned section booked in Edinburgh for next week but all spaces are gone :-( now I have to go to St. John's on 3rd june
If you go yourself - ask them to give me your slot lol - just joking - fingers crossed things go the way you want and you get e birth you're after.
X

If I go before it's all yours!!!

Good luck TristansMum, and keep us updated. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back