Primary school juniors- how much homework do your kids do?

Tudor Rose

Mummy
Reaction score
My oldest started in the juniors in september and the amount of homework she needs to do is excessive in my opinion. here is her homework routine:
monday: maths homework, spellings and 10 minute reading.
tuesday: spellings, 10 minute reading, mental maths revision
wednesday: spellings, 10 minute readin, mental maths revision
thursday: spellings (she has dancing on a thursday so i let her skip reading and mental maths.
friday: 10 minute reading
weekend: mental maths revision, spellings for the following week, reading.

it seems a bit much for a 7 year old to do.

Nathan is in yr 4(hes 9) and doesnt get anywhere near that much!He brought home some maths this week,and had 20 spellings to learn for a test,other than that its just a quick read of his book every night.

How much they get totally depends on the school. I don't think it's an excessive amount - reading i wouldn't really class as homework as i would expect my son to read every night anyway as he loves books.
I think i would rather them have a lot rather than not much at all - once they get to senior school the amount they get could increase by an awful lot (again depending on the school) and if they are used to doing quite it bit anyway it isn't such a shock.

How long would you say it takes your daughter to do that each evening?

My oldest started in the juniors in september and the amount of homework she needs to do is excessive in my opinion. here is her homework routine:
monday: maths homework, spellings and 10 minute reading.
tuesday: spellings, 10 minute reading, mental maths revision
wednesday: spellings, 10 minute readin, mental maths revision
thursday: spellings (she has dancing on a thursday so i let her skip reading and mental maths.
friday: 10 minute reading
weekend: mental maths revision, spellings for the following week, reading.

it seems a bit much for a 7 year old to do.

TBH, I don't think it's that much. My 7 year old is expected to read for at least 10 mins per day (easily slotted in before bed), learn 20 spellings over the week, (about 5-10mins per day) learn her times tables over the week (also about 5-10mins per day) (spellings and times table tests on a Friday) and over the weekend she gets either a reading comprehension or some maths/topic work which can take anything between 30mins-1hr.

It really does depend on the school xx

Sounds about right to me!

I am a school teacher in the US - third grade (the kids are 8 turning 9). This looks just like my homework assignment board.

If it is taking her excessively long to complete her work, then schedule a conference with her teacher. Perhaps the two of you can work on a better fit for your family!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->