Private Rent

Raybabes_x

Reaction score
So, We're just waiting for the keys to our first ever place, a 3 bedroom flat. Is it normal for private landlords to let you decorate? our LL lives abroad and the previous tenant said that you can do what you want but that may have been her just saying, as they was only there for 3 months so didn't bother. so is it usual for them to let you? xx

We asked our LL in writing before we decorated and kept a copy of the letter should anything bite us on the backside if we moved out. Ours was more than happy for us to decorate as it was outdated plus we havent done that much to it, we've basically kept the same colour throughout (magnolia) and only wallpapered 1 wall in the living room and 1 wall in the bedroom :)

I'd advise you to atleast ask your landlord first before doing anything but thats my opinion.

yes :flower: you need permission though and depending on how relaxed they are they might okay it straight away, some like ours want a written plan on what you intend to decorate and then they approve it, most landlords don't care what you do as long as you return it back to it's original condition when you move but you need to ask first :flower:

I agree, you really need to get the LL's permission first. We have private rented a few places now and out of them all only one has let us decorate. We could have just been unlucky though. :)

We were allowed we just had to run it past them first and assure them we cud do a good job on it, a landlord will want to know they can sell it on after you without having to pull down flourescent pink wallpaper or lay new tiles that havent been done properly but they should be fine with the norm :thumbup:

We checked with the landlord first as the old carpet in callums room was hideous, he didn't have a problem with it funnily enough! We haven't done anything else really to the house as although certain rooms aren't how i'd do it to pay for it all and then to move out and he'd have all decorating done for free didn't seem right :haha: We've kept the old carpet though just in case they try and say anything when we do move out! xx

My landlord has been ok, said I can do what I want etc, but Im moving in April cos of other problems.

If you paint the bedroom bright pink, it will have to be painted a netural colour before you move

Our landlord is happy for us to decorate as long as it isnt bright pink all over or something like that but id always make sure you ask permission

Definatley get written agreement first! You could loose some of your deposit if the LL has to put it back to it's original state. our house was awful when we moved in, the previous tenants left holes in Walls where they had TV's, used the most horrendous brown paint in the kitchen and living room (think dirty nappy brown) and border was hanging off the walls upstairs. When we checked in the bloke doing it said that the condition noted was as bad as it could get so anything we did would be an improvement! All the Walls have been painted Magnolia exept El's room which is pale
blue (was bright green) and there's wallpaper on the wall with holes in our room and the living room. Next job is the green skirting boards! I think we'll bill the LL for haning it back in better condition than we got it lol!!

Get a written agreement first to be safe x :flower:

Most landlords I've had has always encouraged me to do so. Makes them able to turn up the price after I leave, and I usually get the money spent knocked off the rent :winkwink:

Yeah will definitely be asking the LL just wanted to know of ours chances really! Thanks everyone xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->