Probably really stoopid q's (re c-sections)

faille

Mummy & WTT
Reaction score
These are probably really stupid questions but I'm beginning to get slightly anxious because I have no idea what to expect on Thurs!

Any input will really help xx

Do you wear a hospital gown for a section? If not, what do you wear..?

Do you get to hold your baby when still in the OR? I read an article the other day which says that you're lucky if you even SEE your baby until a couple of hours after the surgery and it's the "norm" to be back on the ward (not even the recovery room) before they bring you your baby!

Is breastfeeding made ackward by having a section..? I keep thinking I won't be able to hold the baby cuz it'll catch on the cut.

Will knickers/trousers rub against the cut..? Will I have to be careful how low I wear my trousers?

What if the spinal or epidural starts wearing off before they've finished??

How does a catheter work..? I know it's to drain urine but where/how is it inserted? What happens if you need a #2..?

I know these are such stupid questions but I'm hoping if I can at least get some idea of what to expect, I won't feel as nervous. Cuz at the moment, not only do I have no idea what the actual surgery involves, I don't know anything else surrounding it either..! I didn't get a chance to really talk about a section with anyone, I was kinda put on the spot. :blush:

Thanks so much for any advice xx

Hon, I am really going to be no help to you whatsoever, as my section was 13 years ago and I really cant remember the details. I do remember being handed my DD though, I had her in my arms as they were stitching me. I dont remember having any problems with clothing affecting the wound afterwards, and although I didnt breastfeed, I had no problem in holding DD, the wound did not get in the way, its VERY low down.

What I will say is, I have no bad memories of the section, so much so that I have opted to have a planned one this time around.

Hope this helps in even a small way.

xxx

Im having a section and as far as I know you do wear a gown, I presume they just move it out of the way at the time of the op, the catheter is insterted up your ladybits, sorry TMI, well the urethra. I have been told I can hold my little man straight away if there are no problems with him and they stay with you too. DH with probably have him for a while. Im not breastfeeding but they say it doesn't matter whether its a section or vaginal birth. Can't answer the question about rubbing hun sorry. Im sure everything will be fine, try not to worry about it too much. Oh and they will make sure the spinal/epidural will last, they can top up if needs be, take care sweetie and good luck, not long to wait now, :hugs: XX

I had an emergency c-section with my DD and will be having an elective this time. So I'll have a go at answering your questions :hugs:.

I had a hospital gown.

Do you get to hold your baby when still in the OR? I read an article the other day which says that you're lucky if you even SEE your baby until a couple of hours after the surgery and it's the "norm" to be back on the ward (not even the recovery room) before they bring you your baby!
My DD was laid on my chest while I was still in the operating theatre and DH got to hold her too.

Is breastfeeding made ackward by having a section..? I keep thinking I won't be able to hold the baby cuz it'll catch on the cut.
I BF and used a pillow on my stomach so that it was easier on the scar. Once I was out of hospital, my MW recommended feeding laying down.

Will knickers/trousers rub against the cut..? Will I have to be careful how low I wear my trousers?
Yes, I'd recommend some big knickers (nice high waistband, full brief stylee) and I personally wouldnt wear PJ's and wear nighties instead. I didnt want anything touching my scar for a while.

My epidural didnt start wearing off til quite some time after the op. Plus I had an anaesthetist in the theatre with me.

How does a catheter work..? I know it's to drain urine but where/how is it inserted? What happens if you need a #2..?
Er...I'm not sure. They just inserted a small tube (from urethra into the bladder) and removed it the next morning when I could walk.

I hope this helps.

These are probably really stupid questions but I'm beginning to get slightly anxious because I have no idea what to expect on Thurs!

Any input will really help xx

I know these are such stupid questions but I'm hoping if I can at least get some idea of what to expect, I won't feel as nervous. Cuz at the moment, not only do I have no idea what the actual surgery involves, I don't know anything else surrounding it either..! I didn't get a chance to really talk about a section with anyone, I was kinda put on the spot. :blush:

Thanks so much for any advice xx

My section was almost 13 years ago too but I can remember a good bit of it.
1.Yes I wore a hospital gown,open backed so easier for Drs to adminster blocks etc

2.Hubby was with me in OR and I was able to hold my son right away after he was born,he was then wheeled with me to recovery where he was helped to my breast by MW.

3.I was unable to continue BF for more than a week due to problems with him latching on,I was 19 and unsure,didn't ask enough I guess.

4.Don't worry about the spinal wearing off,my epi guy was right next to me through the whole op and asking me all the time if I was ok and keeping an eye on me,they have a drip thing attached to your back the whole time to re-fill if needed but it wouldn't happen.They checked me very closely before op and wouldn't take me through to OR until they were 110% sure I was 110% numb from waist down.

5.If I remember they inserted catheter after my spinal so didn't feel it ,and I think they gave me something to prevent number 2's.
I don't remember having a number 2 for days!

Hth :)

i had c section 8 weeks ago so i will answer for you xx

Do you wear a hospital gown for a section? If not, what do you wear..? yes i wore a gown

Do you get to hold your baby when still in the OR? my situation was different as my baby went into special care BUT i was told if she was ok she could of come to recovery with me and i could of held her

Is breastfeeding made ackward by having a section..? I keep thinking I won't be able to hold the baby cuz it'll catch on the cut. i brestfeed without any problems and just used a pillow on my lap

Will knickers/trousers rub against the cut..? Will I have to be careful how low I wear my trousers?yes knickers will rub on the cut so wear high knickers (full briefs) and low trousers, although i found it hard to wear normal trousers for while

What if the spinal or epidural starts wearing off before they've finished??this would be very unlikely, mine started to wear off bout 2 hours after

How does a catheter work..? I know it's to drain urine but where/how is it inserted? What happens if you need a #2..?a catheter is inserted into your uretha to your bladder, feels slightly uncomfortable but doesnt hurt....you can take the catheter with you to go for number 2 if your mobile...if not you can use a bedpan xx

Thanks for the replies! Sounds really stupid but I worry about the smallest things :rofl:

Another thing I forgot to ask is what happens about your waters? Do they break them before or would they go during the op?

Thanks for the replies! Sounds really stupid but I worry about the smallest things :rofl:

Another thing I forgot to ask is what happens about your waters? Do they break them before or would they go during the op?

they break them during the op xx

Yeah,during the op :)
Yes I forgot about knickers LOL
Granny briefs are what you want because its very tender for quite a while and I wore those and baggy pants for a good few weeks xxx

yep...bigger knickers you can get your hands on! And i wore nighties too - didn;t want any waistbands cutting into me.
my lo was brought straight over to us for us to have a look and then the mw took him out of the room to check him over. Then they brought him back out and he was given to oh whilst i was being stitched back up. As soon as the op was finished they put him on me for skin to skin contact - and i even gave him a feed whilst still in recovery.
I was frightened to death but they were fantastic....the aneathetist stayed by my side the whole way through making sure i was ok.
hope it all goes ok hun. :hugs:

can't give you any advice, just wanted to wish you good luck. you'll do great! :D

xXx

thanks for the questions! i was thinking the same things. glad you asked them. hope it all goes well xxx

Do you wear a hospital gown for a section? If not, what do you wear..? u wear a gown

Do you get to hold your baby when still in the OR? I read an article the other day which says that you're lucky if you even SEE your baby until a couple of hours after the surgery and it's the "norm" to be back on the ward (not even the recovery room) before they bring you your baby!i had an emergency c section and i held jack after he was born and daddy held him while i was stitched up

Is breastfeeding made ackward by having a section..? I keep thinking I won't be able to hold the baby cuz it'll catch on the cut.ull need loads of help and pillows to get comfy

Will knickers/trousers rub against the cut..? Will I have to be careful how low I wear my trousers? i wore granny knickers for ages and jogging bottoms and mat trousers so the wouldnt rub
What if the spinal or epidural starts wearing off before they've finished??it will be over hours before it wears off

How does a catheter work..? I know it's to drain urine but where/how is it inserted? What happens if you need a #2..? it goes up your lady bits and is insertered quickly mine didnt hurt. as for a #2 i didnt have one until 4 days afer any way

I have had an emergency c-sec and a planned one 10wks ago

Hospital gown but dressing gown over the top to walk down to theatre.

Both c-secs I got to hold my baby, with my planned c-sec they cleared her nose and showed her to me straight away to see the sex. She was then given to Dad after me for little while then the two of them went to recovery while I was stitched back up, i then got to spend time with them both.

I formula feed, but maybe a breast feeding pillow would help.

Strechy joggys and big granny pants! In general still your mat clothes for a few weeks.

It unlikely to happen as they can top it up. The Aneathatists(sp) are always by you and reassure you.

It is inserted in your Uretha. I had the spinal in before mine was inserted, you cant feel it and it will be taken out the next day when you get up and about. Takes a good few days before you need a no2!

You will probs be assigned a midwife that will do your obs, take you to theatre and be there throughout the surgery and take you back to your room afterwards. My consultant and Aneathatists came to see me pre-op to answer any questions. It really wasnt as bad I thought, it was actually a very 'calm' birth and I felt at ease. Dont be afraid to make requests, like music on during op, as few people as possible in the theatre, some people ask for dimmed lights.

Your waters are 'burst' by the surgeon just before baby arrives!

Good luck! x

Thanks so much for all the replies ladies, very much appreciated. I feel really stupid for asking some of those questions but I always worry over the little things and if I know even what clothes to take with me so I'll be comfortable, it helps!

Very reassuring to hear that some sections are also not absolute nightmares too. Only thing Ive heard regarding sections at my hospital is where one lady died after having one. I only know people who have had emergency sections but then they were at different hospitals as well, so thank you! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->