Probate/claiming an estate?

Amber4

Reaction score
So 11 years ago in August my Dad passed away. I was only young and I went to live with my mum (My Dad had custody of me mostly) anyways we never really got a look into the will (turns out there wasn't one anyways) so she assumed nothing was left to me. Well 11 years has gone by and I got a call yesterday off this man telling me there was money in the estate I need to claim otherwise it would eventually go to the government. No idea what it is or how much though. This man is coming to meet me and my Mum tomorrow (as I was unsure) but he's genuine and has been verified to me now. It's a bit complicated as I was known by my Dad's last name but I had it changed by deed pole and probate need to see certificates before they can pay out.

Anyways does anyone know anything or have experience? It's just popped up out of the blue tbh x

This sounds a bit like that programme 'Heir Hunters' - I've caught it once or twice when I've been at home during the day :thumbup: :hugs:

https://www.lostkin.co.uk/

It's not an area of my expertise, probate can be annoyingly complicated. My best advice would be to meet this person, get the information but under no circumstances sign anything until you have spoken to a probate solicitor - most firms will give you a half hour or hour consultation for free - and go from there.

Write as much as you can down, ask to see all paperwork and take your time reading it.

If I can be of any assistance, drop me a PM and I'll do my best to answer any questions/queries you have.

:)

This sounds a bit like that programme 'Heir Hunters' - I've caught it once or twice when I've been at home during the day :thumbup: :hugs:

https://www.lostkin.co.uk/

That's what my mum said. Thanks :) x

It's not an area of my expertise, probate can be annoyingly complicated. My best advice would be to meet this person, get the information but under no circumstances sign anything until you have spoken to a probate solicitor - most firms will give you a half hour or hour consultation for free - and go from there.

Write as much as you can down, ask to see all paperwork and take your time reading it.

If I can be of any assistance, drop me a PM and I'll do my best to answer any questions/queries you have.

:)

Thank you. I am being very careful about this. I googled it and it came up with everything I need to ask and becareful of. I was thinking of getting legal help (CAB) as I'm very young (20) and honestly have no idea and don't wanna sign something I shouldn't. I've looked online and he will charge me a percentage but I need to find out how much tomorrow and whether he's worth that x

I love heir-hunters watch it often when it's on bbc 1 , but don't know what to advise sorry! x

This happened with my mum earlier this year. Some uncle she hadn't kept in contact with died years ago and one of those firms got in touch with her. She ended up with £15,000 (as did her brother and two cousins).

Wow that's a big sum. I am 99% certain it's no where near that. I am just wondering how much did they have to pay for that. Like percent wise? Also did they each pay a share to the person who helped them or just a one off payment? Sorry for the questions, no worries if you don't know x

Lol, that is what mum kept saying. She put off answering for weeks because she said he didn't have anything!!! Turned out he was one of those people living in a crummy rented council flat and stashing away thousands!!!

No idea how much she paid. Sorry. I know she never found out how much it was going to be literally until the cheque landed on the doormat!

:haha: don't be getting my hopes up! Thanks anyways though! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->