Progesterone Cream to Stop Miscarriage?

danksgoddess

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just had a miscarriage at 6.5 weeks. Have not yet been to OBGYN to confirm but I just know. Anyway my mother is into homeopathic medicine and she says she actually stopped a miscarriage with my little sister by using progesterone cream to balance her hormones. Said she started bleeding with her but she used the cream and went on to have a healthy pregnancy. When I started bleeding she told me to go out and get some but I didn't have the money.

Has anyone else ever heard of this? I think the next time I get pregnant I'll keep some in stock. It comes in handy anyway because my cycle is irregular and sometimes my hormones get out of whack. I've had to go to the ER before because my period just wouldn't stop. I kept bleeding for like 2 weeks and they finally wound up giving me progesterone pills but I used the cream instead. Anyone else know anything about this?

If you are going to mc you are going to mc.... I really don't think there is any way to "prevent" it. It happens because something is not going right with the pregnancy.

Its hard to say. Some FS will say that unless you have progestrone deficiency in your LP, then progestrone isnt needed but will give it as there is no harm in doing so. I never had a progestrone problem when monitored and in my pregnancy my progestrone was checked and was as low as 11. I never went on any supplements and Im all good.

However, if the pregnancy is not a viable one, progestrone will not save it. It will just prolong the time until miscarriage.

But I would certainly see someone as a period for 2 weeks isnt normal.

Good luck xx

I don't know about stopping a miscarriage but I was put on the cream by my doc last pregnancy because of 2 back to back miscarriages and it worked for me :)

I don't think it'll stop a MC that's meant to happen, but it will support a pregnancy if you're miscarrying because of a horomone imbalance. I bought the cream and am taking it this pregnancy as well and so far so good.

If you're MC from low progesterone it will help. My temp dropped majorly the day before AF was due (like it does when AF comes) instead of going up and up like in my last pregnancy. I quickly bought the cream and everything was fine. I wasn't spotting yet though. I do think I would have started bleeding the next day. I think once you start bleeding it's too late.

Please don't take this as insensitive, but the reality is the vast majority of miscarriages, painful as they are, occur because the pregnancy is non-viable. I can relate to wanting to prevent another MC as I've gone through one myself. But I would not want to carry a baby to term that was severely deformed and wouldn't have any quality of life. Of course, we usually can't know why it happened, and that is the most painful part. But it's too risky, even if the progesterone cream works. Sometimes mother nature knows best.

I've used it this pregnancy because I didn't think it would do any harm and wanted to feel like I was doing something. And bubs is still hanging in there x

Once you started bleeding, progesterone would not have helped, so please don't stress out over that!

Some bodies reject babies and miscarry them early on. It's just your body's way of saying, "I don't wanna do this!!!!!" My sister has this problem and has to be on progesterone suppositories and injections to force her body to maintain a pregnancy. It is uncommon, but it does occur. Usually, progesterone alone will sustain the pregnancy for the first 12 weeks until it can sustain itself through the placenta's production of progesterone.

However, like other(s) have stated above, most miscarriages are not the result of this. Sometimes, when the sperm and egg meet, something goes wrong and the DNA for that baby just doesn't form properly. That baby will die whether or not the body goes through miscarriage, and taking progesterone in that situation would result in someone needing to go off of them in order to release that deceased fetus or a surgery to get rid of it.

Most of the time, miscarriage is actually not a horrible thing (although it is emotionally horrible no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!) because if those babies were to be born, they'd be too sick to carry out life. I'd rather lose a baby in first tri than after birth, that's all.

Please don't let one miscarriage cause you worry. Next time, have your doctor check your levels right away. He/she should not think twice about it given your history now. If your progesterone levels are low, you'll know right away and can be put on these progesterone suppositories. However, progesterone creams sold in stores don't have enough hormone in them to sustain a pregnancy should there be an issue, so definitely see your doctor and go on the real stuff.

I always had spotting before my periods and was convinced I had low progesterone though the doctor didn't think so. When I conceived I continued to spot and eventually got some red blood. Having had a mc before I thought what have I got to lose and tried wellsprings natural progesterone cream. Now 19 weeks and came off it at about 16 weeks :o) All I am saying is it might be worth a try although I can't promise that I would have mc'd without the cream...just a hunch x

Please don't take this as insensitive, but the reality is the vast majority of miscarriages, painful as they are, occur because the pregnancy is non-viable. I can relate to wanting to prevent another MC as I've gone through one myself. But I would not want to carry a baby to term that was severely deformed and wouldn't have any quality of life. Of course, we usually can't know why it happened, and that is the most painful part. But it's too risky, even if the progesterone cream works. Sometimes mother nature knows best.

If there's something wrong with the baby and its going to die, then it's still going to die on progesterone. Progesterone doesn't keep an unhealthy baby alive. It WILL keep you from shedding your lining and the baby if your progesterone is low. That is the only MC cause it will prevent. Some people do naturally have too low progesterone to keep the pregnancy going (even if the baby is viable) and in that case it's essential. My doctor puts anyone with recurrent MC on it as it could be an issue and won't hurt anything if its not.

Hi ya, does anyone know if you can buy progesterone cream over the counter/in a chemist in the uk? I had a mc at 5w4d and now am pregnant again and am petrified. Doctor refused to do any tests to check my hormone levels, until I've had 3 mc!!! Hopefully it wont come to that. Seeing as progesterone can't do any harm though, if it was available over the counter, I'd like to get some, as a precaution. Thanks.

I've always been skeptical of the natural progesterone creams jsut bc of my experience. I have low progesterone. With my 1st pregnancy, my progesterone was 7. I wasn't on any progesterone. I had a mmc, but it was due to chromosome problems anyways. When I was trying to get pregnant the 2nd time, I got natural progesterone creme and started it after ovulation and continued after finding out I was pregnant. When the doctor ran my blood, my progesterone came back at 4.3...so I don't see how the progesterone creme worked at all. He ran my blood after I got my bfp, and by that time I had been using the progesterone creme for just over 2 weeks. I m/c'd again. Probably due to chromosome problems. 3rd time I got pregnant my doctor put me on supplements right away. My progesterone went from 9 to over 40 in a matter of days. I still m/c'd.

So anyways, my experience was that the creme didn't seem to do anything for my levels. and even tho the supplements did, it won't keep the m/c from happening if it's due to some other problem. Good luck everyone. And never ever blame yourself for a m/c...they are usually set in motion from the very start and nothing you can do about it.

So sorry to hear of your losses Scout. When I had my mc the nurse did say that they had ladies who were on supplements and still mc too, regardless. It's so awful. Guess we just have to stay strong and hope for the best, what will be will be. This time around, I see you are 14 weeks pregnant now, did you take supplements?

I see what you mean... but my sister is not in anyway deformed. She's a healthy, happy 13 year old.

Once you started bleeding, progesterone would not have helped, so please don't stress out over that!

Some bodies reject babies and miscarry them early on. It's just your body's way of saying, "I don't wanna do this!!!!!" My sister has this problem and has to be on progesterone suppositories and injections to force her body to maintain a pregnancy. It is uncommon, but it does occur. Usually, progesterone alone will sustain the pregnancy for the first 12 weeks until it can sustain itself through the placenta's production of progesterone.

However, like other(s) have stated above, most miscarriages are not the result of this. Sometimes, when the sperm and egg meet, something goes wrong and the DNA for that baby just doesn't form properly. That baby will die whether or not the body goes through miscarriage, and taking progesterone in that situation would result in someone needing to go off of them in order to release that deceased fetus or a surgery to get rid of it.

Most of the time, miscarriage is actually not a horrible thing (although it is emotionally horrible no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!) because if those babies were to be born, they'd be too sick to carry out life. I'd rather lose a baby in first tri than after birth, that's all.

Please don't let one miscarriage cause you worry. Next time, have your doctor check your levels right away. He/she should not think twice about it given your history now. If your progesterone levels are low, you'll know right away and can be put on these progesterone suppositories. However, progesterone creams sold in stores don't have enough hormone in them to sustain a pregnancy should there be an issue, so definitely see your doctor and go on the real stuff.

Thanks everyone for all the great comments! A part of me is grateful that I lost it while it was still just an embryo in the first few weeks rather than having a baby with health issues... even though it is still upsetting and I would have loved for it to have stuck. Of course everyone is terrified of still births and babies with birth defects and diseases, but for me and the hubby there's a little added stress and worry. As mentioned, his last baby died at the age of 2. Obviously I do not want to go through this myself because I know I couldn't handle it, but more than that I would never want him to have to endure it again. So in short, yes... I know I should be glad that I lost it when it was still just a bean rather than an actual baby.

I just can't wait for another lil bean to take hold. :) *baby dust*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->