Progesterone Injection Welts and Itching (More Questions??)

Chiochick

Reaction score
I have been getting weekly progesterone shots.
I received my 3rd shot last Friday.
Within the last few days, I've developed huge quarter sized welts on each side of my bottom near the injection sites.
It wouldn't be so bad but they itch so badly.
If I itch them they get bigger and itchier.
They're hard and raised and hot to the touch.
I've tried benadryl cream and cortisone cream which has offered minimal relief.
The only thing that has seemed to help was getting in the shower and running burning hot water over the welts but the Itching returned within a half hour.
I've tried rubbing the spots.
Nothing helps and I'm miserable and nearly in tears.
My doctor told me this was normal.
I don't know if I can continue this for the rest of my pregnancy. I'm only 3 shots in with many more to go.
Anyone else experience this or have any tips?

I had progesterone injection every day until I was 11 weeks, and it never gave me welts. I did get lumps under the skin though. I had one injection through both ivf cycles that would give me welts on my stomach though, and my nurse told me that some people just get a reaction. Have you tried to put ice on them? The heat might be making it worse.

I haven't iced as they told me that heat would "disperse the oil" and make the welts go away. It's eased the itching the best out of anything but the spots are most definitely still there. It's almost more like hives. They're still sooooo itchy.

Yeah the heat will disperse the oil, I used heat for my under the skin lumps, which are caused by a collection of the oil, but what your describing as hives seems to be different from a collection of the oil, and more of an allergic reaction. Maybe try to the heat to disperse the oil and then put and ice pack on for a few minutes

I know for eczema and other rashes, cold is what helps to relieve itch and redness

I am not pregnant, but I did go through 3 pregnancies and had to inject progesterone weekly. From what I remember, if it causes you to itch uncontrollably and/or causes welts, you could be allergic to the oil in it. You should mention it again to your Doctor, and see if they can get you some with a different oil.

I agree with above, I took them every day for 12 weeks and although it was sore and lumpy it was never itchy. Could be an allergy

THIS IS EXACTLY ME!! I've just finished my 9th shot and just the past 3 weeks have I gotten huge welts! I have always had the extreme itching and they've always said that's normal- and the doctors have also said to NOT rub it in as it will hurt the tissue around the shot area.

Also, the 1st tri progesterone shots are different so they wouldn't have the same effects as us.

This last week I spoke to an experienced nurse who said I'm getting huge welts because the shot isn't being injected slow enough. Because the serum is so thick, they need to inject it as slow as possible. So I asked for it slower this week and it did help- still slightly raised but not a huge lump sticking off of my body!

Anyways just wanted to say I'm in the same boat! I feel your pain! But just know it will be worth it! :hugs:

I had what you are describing and I was allergic to the shots. Only got worse the more I injected. I was taking the shots early in my pregnancy due to IVF, so when I reported the allergy to my doc we switched to progesterone vaginal suppositories.
I don't know what kind of progesterone you are getting, but if it is progesterone in oil then there are two kinds on the market made with two different oil types. Maybe you can see if you are getting a specific oil type and request to change to the alternate oil type?

I have my next shot on Friday and I'll definitely ask but I never see my doctor at these. Just the nurse.
They did say before that it could cause itchiness and welts and all this but even 4 days after the last one and both sides are still so itchy. Though they aren't as raised up as they were, they are definitely still there. I'm still using benadryl cream.
I'm dreading getting the next one because I feel that the more I get, the more reaction spots I'll have and it's already absolutely miserable.
I feel like they're going to brush it off because I mentioned at my last dr appt that I had a "mosquito like reaction" and they said it was fine and didn't even look at it. But that will as also before they became huge welts.
I have a huge feeling they'll brush it off and I'll just have to deal with this the rest of my pregnancy :(
I'd almost rather have the suppositories at this point.

My guess would be some itching is normal but unbearable itching like you describe is not, I hope they listen to you!

Maybe call it a "hive-like" reaction. The nurse may pay more attention to that. My was hive-like. It was a large area, raised, red, and patchy.

Ok, so I got another shot today and it was a completely different nurse. I mentioned the welts and she did brush it off. She said "oh, that's normal. But maybe ask (main nurse) next time"
I'm also reeeeeally questioning where they're placing the injections. They're literally right in the middle of my butt cheeks. Everything online suggest they should be in the lower back. Is this going to affect anything?
I'm just so irritated and will be talking directly to OB next time I see her.
I just hate bringing things up myself because last time, the nurse said something about "oh, consulting Dr. Google?" :S

Placement of the shot won't affect the way the med work, but if it gets sore it will be hard on you to sit down. The placement that was recommended for me was the upper quadrant of the cheek. I had them draw circles on me with a marker show that my dh had a target. That really sucks that they are brushing you off. I would put in a call to the OB instead of waiting to see her if you can.

Could sitting on a heating pad help offer some relief more long term? I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. It sounds horrible. :hugs:

I've heard a heating pad works so I'll probably go buy one to try that out. I just haven't because I don't have one at home.
I got my shot this morning and so far no itching but last time it was a day or two before the reaction started. I'm hoping it was a one time reaction :/

I never had mine placed in the center. Ouch! I did have steroids in that spot once, and that area is really sensitive!

I think the treatment you are receiving from the nurses at your clinic is horrendous. I hate when practitioners are insensitive and accusatory of patients trying to understand what is happening in/to their bodies. Of course you Googled-it, you live in the 21st century just like they do!

If I have learned one thing in dealing with health issues, it's that no one else cares about your body as much as you do. You have to be a strong self advocate or nothing will happen. It is a bummer it has to be this way, but it is what it is.

I'd contact the Doctor (no more dealing with these jerky nurses) and tell her I believe I am having an allergic reaction to the oil that is in the shot. This is extremely uncomfortable and exceeds any normal reaction. Since there are different types of oil (there IS more than one option), there is no reason that I must suffer, is there? No questions. Just a firm request. Good luck, I hope you find relief!

Oh, and, they should NOT be giving the shots in the center of the butt. You are right. They should be in the upper & outer quadrant of the rear/lower back are. Sitting on the irritated area is probably making it worse.

I so agree with you.
I feel like everything is getting botched and swept under the rug.
So far, I've had 3 different nurses administer the shots.
My first shot was done up higher and I had no itching and hardly a reaction. I know it was higher up because I remember wearing leggings and the waist band was resting on the site and I had to change pants when I got home.
The 2nd and 3rd shots were done by my Dr's main nurse. These were when my reactions first started and they were in the middle of the cheeks. I had significant bruising, knots, and the itchy hives.
The last nurse, completely different, grabbed the area, also the middle of the cheek, and pinched to administer the injection so I had a perfectly round O shaped bruise around the site. She was the one I asked about the reactions and got redirected.
I have my next one the day after tomorrow and I just stopped itching. I'm dreading what's to come.
I don't get to see my actual doctor until the 16th and unless I make a specific appointment to see her, all questions get directed to the nurses anyway.
I almost want to just request the first nurse who did them because that's the only one that "turned out" ok.

Also, got a heating pad. It does take the itching away but I have to have it turned high to the point my skin is red and hot. Heating pad paired with benadryl cream are what's getting me through.

It's an intramuscular injection, right? A longish needle? They should NOT pinch the area together. If anything, they should spread the skin a little. The injection needs to get into the muscle.

You should def request the first nurse who did it, it sounds like she's the only one who knows what she's doing. The next time you see your doc, if you have enough courage, you should tell her about this incompetency. I know it's hard to be critical, but think of all the future ladies who would be so grateful if you helped fix this problem for you and them!

Here's a good video she should have her nurses watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-EY_4P67Hs

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbishop
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->