progestogen only pills...

cocokitten

Reaction score
ive heard that coming off the pill/implant/injection can mean it takes some time to become fertile again and conceive does anyone know if its the same with progestogen only pills? im on cerazette if thats any help, i have been for about three months and not planning to come off until we ttc in about 18months unless it would be wise to come off a little earlier and use the dreaded condoms...

hmmm, it has got me worrying a bit, i know my partner didnt even see my reasons for going on the pill as we'd just been using withdrawal very carefully for the first 2 odd years of being together and no accidents at all, probably just a matter of time but i really think people make out you get pregnant at the drop of a hat but its just not the case for everyone.
il have a search for your thread. thanks

had a look at the thread its left me with more questions!
this prob sounds really stupid but do you have to have had a period after coming off contraception to conceive?

You dont have to have a period because you might catch the egg before you manage to get a period but you need to ovulate to get pregnant.

so does the pill stop you ovulating if you're not having periods do you know?

Yer the pills stop you ovulating. It makes the lining of the womb thinner the egg cant implant and it also makes your cm thicker to prevent sperm getting in.

When your on the combined pill the period you have every month is just the lining of the womb coming away. Not to sure on the pop because i was only on it for 2 months but cerrazette works the same was as the combined pill but as you dont have a gap you dont get the withdrawl bleed.

Hey hun, i was on cerazette and came off it 3 months ago, Ive had 2 pretty normal periods since (comparing them what they were like before I went on POP and whilst I was on it)
Cerazette calmed my periods down, they werent as heavy and werent as painfull, but it didnt have mess with my mood and hormones! lol
Your body is fertile as soon as you come off that pill, it doesnt take 6 months for it to come out of your system, Dr's just recommend a certain time for your body to get back into a normal cycle. My GP told me that it is out of your system when you have your first period since coming off it.
Ive come off mine now as we are TTC in September so it gives my body a few months to get back to normal and so I can work out my cycle and ovulating days better when September comes :)
Good Luck when you do come off it and remember that everybody is different, no one is "normal" lol x

It is out of your system straight away but it can take a few months for your cycle to kick back in propperly. Iv been off contraception for 4 months and they are only now gettin into some sort of a pattern. I dident have my first period for 6 weeks after coming off them. the next cycle was 36 days. The one after that was 27 days. Iv know people to have 60 day cycles after coming off the pill.

It all depends on how long you have been on the pill and quick your body kicked back in to making their own hormoans again.

I fell pregnant after my 3rd period after coming off cerazette, first period took slightly longer to arrive but the 2nd two were regular 4weeks apart.

I don't know about Cerazette specifically, but there are other mini-pills under which you can continue to ovulate (50% of cases). I suspect it might very well have been the case for me as I continued to have bleeds which were heavier than when I wasn't on it! In any case, I have just come of it, expected the withdrawal right afterwards (I bled each time I was late taking it, even a few hours), but all I got was spotting for a couple of days (and a lot of cramping pain). I was waiting for my first proper bleed, but I now know that I ovulated last Tuesday (14 days after stopping), so before I had my first period. I don't expect to be pg, that would be incredible, especially as I am 38, but I am really please that I seem to be ovulating normally.

ah thats great info! i was getting a bit worried and talked to my OH about stopping taking them and just using withdrawal again but i think il stay with it, hopefully il have only been on them 2yrs when we do ttc anyway and ive had absolutely no side effects from this pill apart from no periods which is actually quite good!
i was saying to him it could then take longer when we do want to ttc and he was like well whats 6months or whatever anyway... he hasnt got a clue! :hissy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->