Property inventory-do landlords have to fix or replace things it?

Yo_Yo

Reaction score
We are renting and the vacuum and dishwasher have both broken...well the vacuum blew up on us!

Anyway, the landlords have been for months ignoring us about needing a new vacuum, and they day the dishwasher was left as a 'good will gesture' but both items are in the inventory-where do we stand?

I looked upsomething similar as our oven in our old property broke and I wanted to know where we stand. Although an oven is slightly different as it is more of a necessity.
Legally no they don't have to...only stuff like the boiler etc are legally protected. With us and the oven they fixed as rental properties here all come with ovens so was worth it iykwim.
In your case they may not bother as they aren't necessary.
I wouldmake sure it is formally reported. Messages left, maybe send a letter signed for so you can prove they know. Replace at your expense and keep for yourself.
Come the end of tenancy if won't affect your deposit as you can prove you notified the landlord and you never received a reply.

Hi hun, i work in an estate agents so i hope i can help you..
with our properties we have landlords that work different ways ill try explain in simplest form..

with our main landlord (LLa we will call him) he has properties and if a tenant wants furniture, he will provide some, mainly beds, and white goods, he will always get these second hand, so if these break by general wear and tear, its his responsibility to fix or replace it, if its of tenants fault the tenant has to replace it..

Now another landlord (LLb) furnishes his property but!!! these are NOT in the inventory, meaning if they are in the house when you move in, bonus but if they break, not his problem!!

then we have LLc.. he wont provide any furniture, it is all down to you!! if you buy or rent a washer and it breaks, then fix it, because he wont..

hope this helps, hun, if not ask away :) x

So does the fact it's in the inventory have any bearing to how they deal with it?

im sorry i was trying to edit my post, i realized after i read back your question that i never answered you..

as far as i know from working in this field for almost 4 years.. if the furniture etc,. IS on the inventory it is down to the landlord to fix it if it breaks unless you broke it.. im not too sure what is the case if the landlord put the items in the inventory then told you its a 'good will gesture' IMO written agreements mean more than verbal, especially if its signed..

so yeah id say if its in inventory landlord has to fix it..

my shower recently broke, i dont have an inventory on my tenancy agreement, but he had to fix it as it was in the property first.. the washer however wasnt so i replace that, again the boiler was in the property its down to him to fix it.. now one situation i am stuck with however is..

my OH pulled our washer out to plumb the new one in, the pipes behind wered secure, not one bit.. when he pulled the washer out, the pipe pulled out, as you can imagine water was gushing everywhere, now the cupboards are warping.. now is this our responisility because we didnt turn the water off because there is a stop tap on the pipe? or his responsibility because the pipes werent fitted properly..

i hope this helps hun, if not sorry for wasting time lol xx

No that's really helpful thanks :)

As far as I am aware, white goods do not form part of the landlords repairing/maintenance obligations.

I think it is at the landlords discretion as to whether they fix or replace the goods. They may decide to do nothing.

An inventory just states what was in the property at the time of occupation and it's condition, it does not mean that a landlord has to provide replacements should they break.

Make sure you have a written acknowledgement of anything you report as broken.

As far as I am aware, white goods do not form part of the landlords repairing/maintenance obligations.

I think it is at the landlords discretion as to whether they fix or replace the goods. They may decide to do nothing.

An inventory just states what was in the property at the time of occupation and it's condition, it does not mean that a landlord has to provide replacements should they break.

Make sure you have a written acknowledgement of anything you report as broken.

This, the inventory only states what is in the hours and the condition of these items and the house. They are only legally obliged to fix/replace pipes, electrical wires and the boiler etc. Anything else is down to discretion.
As he is ignoring you it would suggest he has no intention of replacing these. Which is why I wools get proof you have brought these to his attention buy yourself a new Hoover.and a dishwasher if you want one and take it with you. If he fights you he will loose as you can prove you brought it to his attention with no response.
Affectively you are not loosing money

I'm a propert manager and if it's on the inventory they should be replacing it or fixing it

I'm a propert manager and if it's on the inventory they should be replacing it or fixing it

But he doesn't have to does he, or has the landlord & tenant act been changed?

Yes he does

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative just genuinely curious. On what grounds is he obligated to repair/replace? I thought the Landlord and tenant act states they don't have to maintain appliances?

The property is taken on with fixtures and fittings and if they include white goods ect they are responsible unless the tenancy agreement says otherwise

The property is taken on with fixtures and fittings and if they include white goods ect they are responsible unless the tenancy agreement says otherwise

this is what i thought, i was starting to second guess my self then haha!! i was just going by OUR landlords, and our landlords do fix things if they have provided them, my boss makes sure of it. things like elrctrics, gas, boiler etc is common sense they have to repair no matter what the agreement states x

This is through a letting agents and they told me the dishwasher wasn't on the inventory so wasn't covered-but when I looked at the inventory it was indeed on there.
Letting agents keep ignoring me and saying they will call back. It's getting annoying now!

So, if its NOT on the inventory.......you move in.......washing machine breaks and they dont fix it, you have to buy a new one............I assume that new one is YOUR legal property and so you can take it with you, leaving the broken one, or if its been scrapped at the LL request....nadda?

Also, if its broken and you have no where to store it after you get a new one.......can the LL kick up a stink if its gets binned/lifted?

Just curious

So-rang the letting agents again after being ignored for the 5th time in 7 months over this vacuum-it was accidently put in the inventory and they won't replace it. She was rude too over it.
They will get someone to look at the dishwasher too but only repair it if the landlord agrees to it.
Grr-we were never so bad when renting our house out (currently in process of selling)

Hate renting!

So, if its NOT on the inventory.......you move in.......washing machine breaks and they dont fix it, you have to buy a new one............I assume that new one is YOUR legal property and so you can take it with you, leaving the broken one, or if its been scrapped at the LL request....nadda?

Also, if its broken and you have no where to store it after you get a new one.......can the LL kick up a stink if its gets binned/lifted?

Just curious

at my work, if something is NOT on the inventory but was there when you moved in, its always best to ask the landlord what you should do with the broken washer, and if you buy another, yes its yours..
as i just said, if you have no where to store it its always best to ask landlord maybe in writing so its there in proof, ask him what to do with it if he says scrap it, get it in writing that way your always in the right and theres nothing he can do or say afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->