Protecting Our Children - BBC2 - 9pm - 30th Jan

Lightworker

Reaction score
Hi all..

I decided to post in advance because I knew I'd forget when the time came, but there's an upcoming documentary following the work of social workers. I thought it might be interesting to do a running commentary because in the past I know they've always had a bad rap due to cases like Baby P etc. Anyway, thought it might be interesting to watch.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/society/...rtrayal-protecting-our-children?newsfeed=true

:flower:

What do you make of it so far?

Do you wonder about the ethics of this documentary in that although the child's face is blocked out..his parents are visible..so later on he will know he was on this show??

Hey LW im gonna watch it later today, didnt want you to think youre alone in here x

can you catch it on BBC Iplayer? if not its a series so there'll be an episode nxt week x

i will check and will put next weeks on reminder/record xxx

Well that was upsetting!

I think the problems there lay with both parents being from a abusive childhood then getting into abusive relationships. Just constantly looking for something that wasnt there. Then they brought a child into it. There was also many pregnancies in that relationship.

The house was clearly terrible as was their attitude and his aggression. They we obviously too late to be helped and it was clear the father was against it. I felt if the mother had been single, she may have done more. It shocked me that once she was single that she decided to give up the children and i would have like to know more about that.

I thought the title, dammed if we do dammed if we dont was very telling. I really felt for the staff dealing with the care of the boy. I wouldnt have the patience for it, especially when they never even got the bed out of the plastics.

I worry that the poor boy wont be saved and the cycle might continue onto his children :(

I really worry for social workers. For a while I really wanted to be one..but the reality of it put me off. I would be terrified going into people's houses not knowing what to expect. I did feel bad as well when the lady left that relationship, and I thought she was going to get so much support and raise her children on her own.,,.but then went on to have them adopted.

Do you remember when the dad said "He doesn't brush his teeth cuz I never brush mine and I'm fine"... and he only had one visible tooth :wacko:

Next week features a violent couple..so will be interesting to watch.....

I don't know who is behind the programme...but it does engender some sympathy for the profession.

I watched it today on sky+.It was very sad and frustrating,they were offered so many chances and didnt make an effort,the little boy and baby girl are better off without them,its just a shame they couldnt be adopted together.

I really worry for social workers. For a while I really wanted to be one..but the reality of it put me off. I would be terrified going into people's houses not knowing what to expect. I did feel bad as well when the lady left that relationship, and I thought she was going to get so much support and raise her children on her own.,,.but then went on to have them adopted.

Do you remember when the dad said "He doesn't brush his teeth cuz I never brush mine and I'm fine"... and he only had one visible tooth :wacko:

Next week features a violent couple..so will be interesting to watch.....

I don't know who is behind the programme...but it does engender some sympathy for the profession.

I agree I think its very well made, i suppose as youd expect for BBC I felt sympathy for both sides and didnt feel like there was an agenda behind the filming.

I just watched it and found it very interesting, I felt bad for the mother and was surprised she put her chldren up for adoption after being soo upset when Toby was taken away and all she went through in the pregnancy with the little girl.

The dad got on my nerves all he did was argue and when he finally got to see his son he barely spoke to him!!!

As for the social worker I really felt her frustration if that was me I wouldve told em about themselves the state of that house was mank especially havin dog mess on the floor with a child running around, surely they have more than enough time to take the dog for a walk and can train it to go outside and just generally do some cleaning :nope:

I found the programme frustrating and upsetting. Frustrating purely because i wanted to scream at the TV most of the way through. For me i just couldn't understand why they couldn't understand that they weren't even providing basic needs for Toby, the simple things in life that most of us wouldn't even think about because we just naturally do them.

I was glad that she decided to put her daughter up for adoption but really wished that she had tried to keep hold of Toby, and worked with him and his behavioural issues, which most was caused by the level of care his was given.

I couldn't be a social worker and now realise why so many of them leave after a couple of years, i think it would just eat at you knowing that there's only so much you can do

I am watching it on iplayer now and i am only just over 3 mins in and wanted to pop back here to say WOW.

I'LL BE BACK!

I just watched the whole program and felt so sad and frustrated, i think the mother would have been able to care for her children with the right guidence, i felt sorry for her she has totally lost confidence and is scared which is why i think she made the decision she did.
The father i felt had no idea, when he went to visit his son he barely spoke or interacted with him, i found that very frustrating and i feel that the littles boys delay in speech and communication was soley due to neglect and his behaviour due to not being able to communicate.

The house was disgusting no doubt i would of felt the need to clean up there and then, i couldnt of left the boy there in that state i would of given them jobs to do and got it all sorted before i left x

Yeah the house was a complete tip.

I also wonder how social workers sleep at night. I would struggle with that.

I couldnt have been that expert that was in the room during the dads contact visit, I wanted to scream at him to talk to his son.

As for the social worker I felt bad for her because she was new to the job and the dad gave her such a hard time.

I couldnt have been that expert that was in the room during the dads contact visit, I wanted to scream at him to talk to his son.

As for the social worker I felt bad for her because she was new to the job and the dad gave her such a hard time.

Hehe the guy was great for trying to say some positive and encouraging words to dad lol

Yh I think hes the only person the dad didnt try to argue with :D

I couldn't believe how much advice and guidance they were given, only to be ignored time and time again. They even got the little boy a bed and they couldn't even be arsed to get it out of the wrapper, and he never had a quilt or pillow :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->