Psoriasis - what will help

mrs owl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My partner developed psoriasis last year and now it has spread to his scalp. I feel very sorry for him a:sad2: I was wondering if anyone knows of any cream or product or home product he can use. He has already been to the Dr about it - the Dr prescribed cream that never worked.

Any help would be appreciated.

i am a long term sufferer of psoriasis, i have had the external symptoms of it for 12 years now.

luckily i don't develop patches on my scalp that often but when i do i tend to rinse my hair twice daily in pure goats milk or pure goats cream, it really helps soothe it.

the creams prescribed are useless. it only deals with helping ease the symptoms not actually do anything to help reduce the symptoms from coming back. everytime i have had steroid creams or cold tar creams as soon as i stop using them it comes back 10 times as bad.

plenty of sunshine, plenty of water, plenty of emolient creams, daily exfoliation, vitamins and i have stopped my external symptoms from getting worse.

I am in concideration to adopting a vegan lifestyle as i have read great reviews from peopel within the psoriasis world swear by this from reducing or even getting rid of their external symptoms completely.

i say external symptoms because psoriasis is classed as an auto imune disorder and not a skin disorder though this little known fact isnt widely agreed upon. the reason i believe it is is because when i have a really bad out break it tend to be jsut before i get ill in one way or another or not long after i have hurt myself. my immune system kicks in thinking that my skin is apart of what ever it is that is making me ill/hurt and starts attacking it causing this excess growth of skin to try and dispell the 'nastys'

so it might be an idea to try and boost your partners immune system like change of diet/lifestyle/vitamins etc.

stress can also be a contributing factor.

sorry babbled a bit there. if you ever need any questions answered please feel free to ask. x

My partner developed this too after suffering from an autoimmune disorder and he had it on his scalp terribly. He uses coal tar shampoo, there are a few different ones and he tried most of them, he found that they tend to work over time (a week or so) and eventually cleared his scalp up. I think it was a combination of the coal tar and doing what LoolaBear has suggested above. He takes baths in oilatum emollient too which helps his skin elsewhere. The emollient is the one from the pharmacy and we have to ask for it, it's usually prescribed but is available over the counter (it's just not on the shelf with the other oilatum stuff). It has taken a while to improve and whilst it's loads better he still has to manage it, some times of the year are worse than others.

Good luck, I know how distressing this can be x

Thank you ladies!
I really appreciate your advice and will try all of the above. It is very distressing for him and it really ruins his self confidence when he needs to go for a haircut. I'm sure when people see it they just presume dandruff.

I get this, on my head.. all over it's embarrassing. I used special shampoo. You can get a T/Gel shampoo, or ask a pharmacist :)

My partner has this and used to use coal tar shampoo which didnt really help. I bought him a Soak and Float shampoo bar from lush and a snake oil massage bar which helped a lot! Theyve stopped doing the snake oil though and ive bought a different product called roots which he hasnt tried yet.

my cousin has really bad psoriasis and the only thing that helped was homeopathy. The results are amazing!

I also used homeopathy to help me with terrible eczema, and I never got it again. The only problem with homeopathy is that it sometimes makes skin conditions worse for a week or so before it gets better, but the results are incredible and it's not a very expensive treatment..plus it's all natural so you avoid all the terrible stuff in the creams and medications that just cover up the problem instead of curing it :thumbup:

my cousin has really bad psoriasis and the only thing that helped was homeopathy. The results are amazing!

I also used homeopathy to help me with terrible eczema, and I never got it again. The only problem with homeopathy is that it sometimes makes skin conditions worse for a week or so before it gets better, but the results are incredible and it's not a very expensive treatment..plus it's all natural so you avoid all the terrible stuff in the creams and medications that just cover up the problem instead of curing it :thumbup:

just so you know psoriasis is an auto immune disorder so can't be cured but symptoms can be dramatically reduced to almost non exsistant :winkwink:

I'm coming down with a virus now and am having a flare up on my arms and legs which is really annoying now the nicer weather is here lol

ive heard great things about homeopathy so might give it a try in a couple of years when i start getting annoyed with the flare ups

I really would welcome any ideas as mine is terrible and hasn't really gotten better with any treatment (I've tried shampoos and a couple of different prescriptions before pregnant), in fact the only thing that's lessened it has been getting pregnant. I normally have it all over my scalp, completely around my eyes and also in random spots all over my chest and arms. Since getting pregnant it's gone down to only my scalp but it's still so thick and I'm not quite sure what to do about it at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->